Chapter Twenty-One

It's been a week since I found everything out, and also since I've been avoiding seeing Everett. More than being angry at the two of them, I felt more angry towards myself. I thought nothing would never happen between them, so now I just feel like an idiot after finding out. Also, I don't know how to face him and how I should act, so I just didn't make any efforts to go over the guys' place anymore, rejecting invites to go hang out over there.

Today is a slow day at work, and my ears perked up at the sound of the store front door opening. A scowl formed on my face when I saw who had just walked in.

Katherine walked up to the counter. "Hey, Nova," she said. "I'll take two iced coffees, please. I'll be sitting over there." She pointed to a table by the window and walked away.

After I made the drinks, I brought them over to her and set the cups down on the table. "Waiting for someone?" I asked.

"Sit," she said, gesturing to the seat across from her. I did, and she pushed one of the iced coffees to me. "For you. We need to talk, so I thought over coffee would be good."

I just glanced down at the coffee and back up at her. "What is it?" To be honest, I wasn't in the mood to talk to her. I'm still angry at her, so the sight of her is just irritating to me right now.

She sighed softly, stirring her coffee with the straw, the ice clinking around in the glass. "I've been thinking a lot since the other day, when you came by." When I didn't say anything, she continued. "I wanted to apologize to you. I should've told you about it, but I guess at the time, I didn't think it mattered. Peter and I made up a couple days after, so I guess I just wanted to forget about it."

I frowned. "That's not fair to Everett," I muttered. "You knew how he felt about you."

"I know," she said. "I hated myself for doing that to him. I just figured it would be easier to forget it, since he left for California." A look of regret formed on her face. "It was a mistake to not tell you. I'm sorry, Nova."

I crossed my arms over my chest and sighed. "Thanks for apologizing," I said. "You also should apologize to Everett, you know."

She nodded. "I'll definitely do it when I see him next time!"

"Good," I said, nodding my head in satisfaction.

Katherine smiled as she stood up. "I should get going. I have a meeting with the wedding planner."

After work, I arrived back home and walked through the front door. My mom poked her head out of the kitchen. "Nova, you're back!" she said. "Ava's here to see you. I told her she could wait in your room."

"Thanks," I said and made my way up to my room.

I opened the door to find Ava laying on her stomach on my bed, scrolling on her phone. She looked up at me and smiled. "Hey!" she greeted. "How was work?"

Tossing my bag onto the chair near my desk, I flopped down onto the bed beside her. "Katherine came by to talk to me," I informed her. "She apologized to me."

"Wow, really?" Ava raised an eyebrow. "She's usually super stubborn when it comes to apologizing after you two get into fights."

"Maybe she realized how much of an ass she was being this time," I grumbled, grabbing a pillow and hugging it to my chest. "Anyway, what's up?"

Ava sat up, flipping her brown, curly hair over her shoulder. "Connor invited us to the band's place for a small get together. It's going to be us and some of their friends, just hanging out and stuff." She paused, pressing her lips together in thought before continuing. "Everett's going to be there, too, of course."