Chapter 12

Gabe Logan ---------------------------------------->

Video: Song I think describes many of the characters -------------------------------------->

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Grim

THIRD ECHELON HEADQUARTERS

                I watched as the plane landed and Delta sly walked off.  I watch Abigail walk off glassy eyed.  I walked over to her and she was shaking.

                “Abby, I am sorry.” I told her.  She just walked past me and into Third Echelon.

                “Ames is pissed, he thinks that Abigail is working with Fisher.” Hansen said walking over.  I just shook my head.

                “She told him things she would never tell me.  She trusted him with her life.  Several times.  He was a father to her.  His suicide is hitting her hard.”

                “I don’t know if I would rule him dead.  Not yet.  He might have had an oxygen unit hidden inside the tac suit.  We don’t know.  He may still be alive.” Hansen told me.  I looked at him and back at Abigail.

                “You try telling her that?”

                “She hasn’t spoken a word since he jumped,” Maya said walking past.  Her arm and stomach were stiff.

                “Where’s Nathan?”

                “He showed up with the shit beaten out of him at a US Embassy in Istanbul an hour ago.  He knows we can’t expect Embassy’s to help us, but they put him in the infirmary and are giving him medical attention.  He flies back tomorrow,” Hansen said.

                “Okay, I will try talking to Abigail.  We will watch out for Fisher, give it a week.  But after that, we will have to write him off as dead.” I told Hansen and started after Abigail.  I found her sitting at the desk Fisher used while he was here.  I walked over to her and she looked at me.

                “I need time alone Grim.  Please, don’t try to tell me that its going to be okay,” she said.  Her voice was choked with tears.

                “Abby listen to me, Fisher could have possibly had a oxygen unit.  If he did, the suits thermal abilities would be able to keep him alive and submerged for up to an hour.”

                “Don’t try to get my hopes up Grim, he was sinking, I watched his thermal signature vanish.  He is dead!” she sobbed.

                “Abby, if he swam down deep enough the cold of the water would cover his thermal signature.  He could still be alive.” I told her.  She just stood up and walked away.  I closed my eyes as I watched, now, the best operative I had at my disposal walk away with tears in her eyes.

Hansen

MOREAU’S OFFICE

                Ames and I sat in Moreau’s office.  Nobody said a word.  There was really nothing to say.  The man we had been chasing just killed himself.  Maya and Kimberly had gone to chase Abigail down.  I really didn’t have any high hopes for them.