Chapter 17 SCT

Abigail

KAZAKHSTANI MOUNTAINS

                Ames was drenched in jet fuel.  I let the flame dance inches from his face.  My OPSAT dinged and I looked at it.  A smile crossed my face.  I sent Grim a response one handed as the flame danced in front of Ames’s face.

                “Abby,” Fisher started.  I didn’t say anything not to him.  I looked directly at Ames.  His eyes were alight with fear.  The flames scared him.

                “Tell me what I need to know,” I snarled. “What did you tell Kovac?  How much does he know?”

                “Abby!” Fisher snapped.

                “What!” I snapped.  “How would you prefer I interrogate him?  Beat him to a pulp, smash his head into the tree!  Would you prefer I interrogate him your way Sam!”

                “Don’t call me Sam,” he snarled.

                “Don’t call me Abby,” I screamed at him.

                “What the fuck is your problem with each other!” Redding snapped getting between me and Fisher.

                “I called you Abby for eight years!” Fisher snapped.

                “And I called you Sam for seventeen!” I snarled.

                “What?”

                “Yeah, foster home after foster home.  I have an Uncle Sam, but he has a dangerous job so I can’t stay with him or my Aunt Anna because of it.  Every foster home, so can I interrogate him how I see fit considering this leaves no marks.”

                “Fine,” Fisher said.  I walked over to Ames.

                “Little tiny Ames was five years old when his family’s house caught fire because of some arsonist deceived to burn his house.  He escapes the burning house only to watch his sister and parents burn alive in the window.  Pounding on it, trying to get free.  You didn’t do anything to save them.  You sister begged for your help as she was burnt.  All you had to do was break the window, break the window and they would have survived.  But  no, you were rooted in place.  Scared for your life.  A selfish act, and that’s how you have stayed.  Only thinking of yourself.   What did Kovac promise you?  What did you tell him?”

                “After Fisher jumped and we were sent back to Fort Meade, I went to see Deputy Director Kovac…”

Ames

THIRD ECHELON HEADQUARTERS

THREE WEEKS AGO

                “Hey, you wanted information on Abigail Fisher right?” I asked walking in and shutting the door behind me.

                “Yeah, what do you have?” Kovac asked instantly alert.

                “Well, she and Fisher seem really close.  He attacked Maya and she got him to stop by calling him Uncle Sam.  He was an only child and so was his wife.  His daughter is dead and he never remarried.  So, either his file is lying about his family or kitty has a sugar daddy.” I said.  I saw Hansen walk past completely ungeared.  He was pulling his jacket on and was looking directly at me.

                “You think they are sleeping together?” Kovac asked me, catching my attention again.

                “I overheard her say how she brought beer and steaks over to his house and they would get drunk.  Things happen when two people of the opposite sex get drunk.” I shrugged.