Chapter 15

A few minutes later, Locus comes with the Reds and Blues to our little louge where I was painfully waiting to get out and get to fighting.

"Trouble while we were gone?" He asks.

Dylan replied. "None, it's been quiet. Too quiet."

"Oh, Jesus. What did they do to you?" Tucker asked Carolina and Wash.

"We're fine." Carolina answers.

"That's what she said." Wash adds weakly. "Ooooohh! High five up to-- up top."

"Did you get your shoelaces?" Caboose asks randomly.

"Are you okay? Can you guys fight?" Tucker asks.

"Almost ready. My strength's coming back to me." Carolina reassures.

"Lying isn't going to help." Locus scolds. "We need to move now."

"The longer we stay here, the higher the chance we're detected." I add.

"Well, we didn't see anyone on the way here. This place suddenly feels like a ghost town." Tucker points out.

"They must have moved out and left a skeleton guard to watch the cells."

"Oh, come on!" Caboose yells in his.. Caboose way. "We can handle one skeleton. The ghost town though, we're gonna need to call someone for that."

"Time's a-wastin', gentlemen. Let's get a move on." Sarge insists.

"Not so fast." Dylan stops everyone in their tracks. "We still don't know enough about their machine."

"Screw. That. It's time to get out of here, not play Nancy Drew." Tucker says.

"All of this has been building up to something big, and I don't think it's a press release. Jax and I are gonna find out what's really going on."

"Count me in." Grif unexpectedly says.

"Woah, did Grif, just volunteer?" Tucker says in shock.

"and I'm ear-hallucinating again, Wash." Carolina sighs.

"Uh-oh. Spaghetti-o's." Came his weak reply.

Simmons also volunteers and heads off with Grif and the News Crew to go find out some information about the machine. Tucker had the suggestion to secure an exit out of the base.

I slipped away from the group to a computer nearby where I tried to do my own research on the machine.

"I know there's another reason why you slipped away from the group. Not just to do research." Beta says, appearing on my shoulder.

"Sometimes I hate that you always know that something's up with me." I laughed.

"Ha ha very funny but this is serious A." Beta sighs then continues, "It's about Wash.. right?"

"Well I- uh-"

"That's what I thought." Beta stops me. "You can't stand being around him because of what he did with Carolina but you still love him."

And there's the dagger striking me in the heart again.

"I don't want to talk about it right now Beta. Just help me with this and we'll talk about it later. Ok?"

"Alright then." She sighs and disappears into the computer.

Confession time: I do still care to Carolina and Wash. I really do. They will always be my friends and family til the end. It's just that I'm still mad about what I saw back on the beach.

After a few minutes of digging, we only found information that we already knew. It was worth a shot trying.

"Alaska, I need you here for some tactical support." Locus comms.

"On my way." I replied. Beta hops out of the computer and we make our way back to the Crew. I make my way over to Locus and check out what we are dealing with.

Just the outside of where we are, there were Red and Blue Sim Troopers patrolling and repairing a ship.

"So much for an easy escape." Locus sighs.

"Wait a second... These aren't skeletons!" Caboose says.

"It's cool, guys. Locus can just call his alien spaceship." Grif says.

"It's a crowded ship with two," Locus points out. "we need the Pelican."

"I'll cover you all from here." Sarge says.

"Your shotgun has an effective range of two meters." I counter. "If anyone should provide cover, it's me and Locus."

Carolina looks at Locus. "I thought you swore off killing."

Tucker laughs. "Good one."

"Haha!" Caboose joins in. "That is a very funny joke and no one needs to explain to me. Was I laughing too hard?"

"I did swear off killing." Locus confirmed. "But you don't need your kneecaps to live."

"What about your ship?" Grif asks. "It's got weapons, right?"

"Yes, they're very useful for splitting asteroids, less practical indoors. No, this will require some planning. If we play our cards right, we can escape without the need for violence."

"Screw that." Tucker says. These people are our enemies, and I, for one, am ready for some mothertrucking revenge."

Tucker runs out of our hiding spot while Carolina tries to stop him. "Tucker, don't-"

Tucker shoots a enemy Trooper. "Booyah!"

Everyone runs out and starts shooting.

"Idiot!" Locus yells at Tucker and shoots a Red trooper in the kneecap.

"Gah! My kneecap!"

I started to snipe the troopers on top of the railings. A Blue, a Red, another Red, a Blue..

But it seems like every time I kill one, another two takes their place. There's just so many of them.

A Red trooper manages to get to a mounted gun and begins firing down, causing us to duck for cover.

"Everyone, get cover!" Simmons warns.

"We're pinned! We might die! It's so exciting!" Sarge adds excited for death.

Like how can you be excited for death like how?

"Locus, shoot him already!" Tucker yells.

Locus aims at the Red Grunt on the gun, but then lower his gun.

"I have no shot." He says. "Repositioning."

Locus turns invisible and disappears.

"Everybody just chill out until--" Tucker starts to order but then stops.

I look at him to see that he was looking at something else.

No.

He's looking at someONE.

"Wash? Wash. Wash!" He yells.

I watched Wash continue to walk out into the middle of the battlefield in terror while Tucker keeps shouting at him.

I stand up and shout at him, hoping that he will listen to me. "What the heck are you doing? Wash, get down!"

Wash stops and turns to face me.

"Oh, hey A-"

Time slowed. I could hear screams from Tucker and Carolina but they are faint. All I did was stand there, watching in terror..

As Wash got shot right in front of me.