Chapter 16

I sprint over to Wash and activate my Hardlight shield to protect him from anymore injuries even though he has a serious throat injury.

Sarge and Caboose flanked upstairs to the railing area where Caboose went Beast mode and knocked everyone out.

Soon after all the enemies were defeated, everyone walked over to Wash's body. I deactivated my shield and stepped back while Tucker and Dylan examined him.

"This... isn't good." Dylan says.

"Do something! Someone!" Tucker yells.

"Aranasia! Come! Quickly!"

Aranaisa, aka Locus's ship, flies into the hangar. "Help me get him on the ship. Now!" Locus ordered.

"Where are you taking him?" Tucker demanded.

"The nearest hospital." He explained. "He needs immediate care."

"Well, I'm coming too."

"No room."

"Screw that!"

"The enemy has a head start. If you plan on stopping them, your men are going to need you." Locus counters, showing his anger. "Now help me get him on the ship!"

Tucker didn't move so Carolina and I helped Locus load up Wash into Arasania. They leave the hanger and sped off to the hospital leaving us in an utter defeat.

***

Outside the Blues' and Reds' Base

Tucker and the crew are talking in a little group over in the open area about the current situation. I slipped away again because honestly, I just need time to think. All I was hoping for was this to be an easy mission and I would be home in less that two months. Apparently not and now Wash is in the hospital.

Amazing..

I lean against a rock and pulled out a high tech master lock. I got it from my brother, York, back in the Project to help me get rid of my frustration when something goes wrong or if I'm really nervous. I haven't used it since the last time he scrambled it and I'm clearly frustrated since I pulled it out. I start solving the lock until I hear someone walking up behind me.

"You ok?"

Carolina walks in front of me and looks at the lock I'm solving. "I haven't seen you use that in a long while. Something up?"

"I guess you can say that." I say as I turn my lock trying to find the next part of the process.

Carolina looks over at the Reds and Blues and then at me. "You saw Wash and I on the beach."

I glanced up from my work then back at it. "Grif told you?"

"He did."

"And you're here because..?"

"Because I want to tell you what really happened." She goes on to explain that she was struggling with starting over and not knowing what to do, thus almost causing her to throw York's lighter into the ocean.

"If it wasn't for Wash, I probably won't realized that I already had a fresh start. I already had part of my old family with me, and a new one right in front of me. Though they are so annoying and stupid at times, they are the perfect family."

I keep going with the lock while processing everything she said. There's a possibility that I misinterpreted the scene on the beach.

"You're slowing down on solving the lock. That's a sign that you're think about what I said." Carolina observed.