-Chapter 5-

I was left inside a huge dining room, with a lovely mahogany table that could sit at least 20 people. In the middle sat the most exquisite bunch of roses I’d ever seen. The chandelier was beautiful, shaped like little rain drops. I walked around, taking in the paintings, but not daring to touch anything that could be valuable. (In this case everything looked valuable).

Nathan had left me here to go to his mother. He promised to be back as soon as possible but he’d been gone for over half and hour and it was getting late. It was 11.45 and if I wasn’t back home, my parents would be worried sick.

I was trapped in the silence for so long, that my ring tone was like an earthquake. It blasted a tuneful song and I fumbled with it in my pocket. It halted when I answered it and Caroline was on the other end.

“Belle, where were you at the party? I didn’t see you, I came home just now. Where are you? I tried ringing your house, your mum says you’re still out. BELLE!”

“Let me at least speak, Caroline!” I huff and move my hair out of my face. “I’m not home because, I’ve kind of been held up.”

“How? Anyway, you’ll never guess what. My parents had to cancel the trip to France. Can you believe that?” said her shocked voice with a sigh.

“Such a shame.” I said sarcastically and looked around in case anyone was listening.

“So,” she continued. “I’m stuck at home for summer. What a bummer! So where are you?”

“If you shut up, I’ll tell you.”

All of a sudden she went quiet. Thank god that shut her up.

“Look, you know, that man I slapped today?”

She said something like ‘mm’ to show she understood.

“Well, I’m in his house and I just saw his dad die.”

“What? Mr. Blake is dead!” she yelled.

“Shut up! Let me explain. Yes he is, and I’m sure the media will find out soon enough about his death. But that’s not the point or the problem. Mr. Blake made his final wish.”

“Oh man,” he voice was serious and deeply interested in what I had to say.  “-but, that means his last wish has to be fulfilled.”

I gave a sarcastic gasp, “Really? You don’t say.” I heard her give a ‘tut’ and sigh.

“Ok, but what was his final wish?”

How was I meant to word this. How was I meant to tell her that I had to marry a man I hardly knew, but had slapped and he was someone I didn’t like. I always thought if I were to marry, then it would be to someone I deeply loved. But I didn’t love Nathan.

“TELL ME!” she bellowed and I separated the phone from my ear at arms length.