-Chapter 13-

-Isabelle Quinn-

“Nathan! Hi” comes a shrill voice, waving her hands and getting Nathan’s attention. He spots her in the crowd and smiles, I watch him walk over to her and my jaw drops.

I follow him and sit down at the table, where Ruby has made herself very much at home.

“Told you I’d see you soon” she says, playfully slapping Nathan in the arm. I wonder if she knew I wanted to slap her in the face…with a chair.

“Yes, you did say” he smirks and runs her fingers through his blonde, tousled hair.

Ruby bites her lips at this and I grimace.

“So, this car auction?” Nathan asks after moments of awkward silence. Ruby snaps out of some daydream. Probably of Nathan shirtless and some dirty thoughts wondering in her head. Ergh, of course she’d think that.

“Yes” she jumps up and hands him some papers. “A total a 50 cars for the auction. Do you guys have a location and some plants to start off the auction?”

“Yeah, we do.” he answers back and reads through the document in his hand. As much as I hated business and didn’t want to watch Nathan work, I wasn’t going to let Ruby stay alone with him.

“Belle!” shrieked a voice behind me and I spun around, facing Caroline. “And Ruby?” she grumbled, folding her arms.

“Oh, you” hissed Ruby.

“Why don’t you two go out? Ask Thomas to take you somewhere. I know you don’t want to see me do this.” Nathan breathed, smiling at me.

I return a nervous smile, I didn’t want Ruby anywhere near Nathan, And I had no intention leaving them together, but I had no choice. I linked arms with Caroline and walked out the room.

“Why does she have to make a business deal with him?” spits Caroline, and I shake my head. Thomas is at the front door and I relay the message from Nathan. He agrees and opens the front door when an unexpected visitor bolts into the house.

“WHAT?” exclaims Caroline and I follow the visitor to see them jumping onto Ruby and licking her face.

“Argh, get this mutt of me” she roars and Nathan carefully grabs the dog and carries him.

“He’s harmless,” Nathan assures Ruby but she only looks disgusted. I run to Nathan and grab the dog off him, stroking him behind the ears and getting licked in the face.

“Awhh, who’s adorable” I coo to the German Shepard, who was only a puppy, but looked huge anyway. “Look, he has no name tag” I say and look hopefully at Caroline then at Nathan, meeting his bright blue eyes, his face lit up and it made my heart flutter for a split second.

“Do you want to keep him?” he asked, and I gasped.