Chapter XXI: I'm Not Your Toy

Camila's POV

"Lauren?" I beckoned my girlfriend out of her intense reading on the plane, with her back almost to me.

"Uh.. yeah? What is it?" she quickly snapped out of it and closed the book, trying to hide it.

Chuckling and trying to see what it was, "What are you reading?"

"Nothing. Nothing, Camz," she shook her head but before she could out the book away, I snatched it.

"Haha!"

"Camz," she huffed.

"Is this a parenting book?" I looked down at the cover that read "Your Baby Guide" with a picture of a little baby on the front.

"Uhh..." she attempted to dismiss although I already caught her. "I just... I just found it at the library when we went the other day and thought it... you know, looked interesting."

"Aww, Lo! You're reading how to raise our baby! How cute!" I smiled and kissed her cheek, finding it adorable.

"Shhhh, not so loud!" she whisper yelled, looking around the plane out of embarrassment which made me laugh harder. "Okay can I finish it?" she asked a little annoyed but I clearly saw that blush.

"Be my guest. Give me a summary when you're done," I gladly handed it back with a teasing chuckle.

"Jeez, so damn nosey," she gave me that one glare that I loved because it looked just like Finn's.

I only read two or three books like that before our son was born. Then I kind of just did what I felt was right ever since. I could tell Lauren had been been getting a lot more nervous about the new baby. Well, clearly since she picked this book up. But it was perfectly understandable. Raising a 5-year-old was way different than a newborn. Small babies were much more exhausting and... well, hard work. I felt like I was ready for the challenge again. Especially now that I had my partner with me to help this time. And I knew Lauren would be ready too. At least she was studying.

There was no question if Lauren was a good parent or not. She was amazing. A lot more amazing than me when it came to discipline obviously. I was so warm, fuzzy and nurturing and Lauren was definitely more strict and authoritative. She had plenty of soft moments with Finn as well but she could lay down the hammer with him far better than I could. I mean, of course I disciplined him when it was appropriate, but when my girlfriend was around, he'd rather take her word more seriously. Anyone would. I guess she just had that affect.

Such a daddy.

***

"So, you're sharing a suite with Lauren and Finn?" Dinah asked while getting ready in her room she was sharing with Normani.

"And Ally."

"Oh yeah. She does not like me at all. Or Mani," she sighed.

"Well, no shit with how you treat her best friend," I replied as if it wasn't obvious that Dinah and Lauren still didn't get along.

"Aww, come on, Mila. Still pressed about a few harmless jokes and some harmless teasing?" she rolled her eyes.

"Harmless?" my eyes widened. "You guys almost got into physical fights countless times," I stated.

"She's the one that started it and I'm gonna defend myself," she shrugged off.

Sitting on the bed with her, "What's really got you so annoyed about her? Like, shouldn't you have already gotten over the bad beef a long time ago?"

"Shouldn't she?"

"I asked you, Dinah."

She thought it over with her head down. "I don't know... it's just... I can't ever forget about how much shit she put you through all those years ago and still puts you through."