Chapter XXIII: When You're Gone

Camila's POV

When I was younger, I didn't think much about what I wanted to be when I grew up. I felt as though my mind was so open to many different options. Of course I wanted at least one kid of my own even if I didn't have a partner to help me raise them. Looked like I accomplished that for a while. 

But it wasn't until I saw one person... just one... appear on my television screen one night to completely change my entire mindset. That person was a beautiful teenager, long brown, wavy hair, cute teal shirt with matching teal nails. I didn't know how she did it but as soon as the first words left her mouth, I didn't want to ever look away from my screen. She captured me in an instant and as fate brought me to this moment, I knew I had to be right there watching her. And when I heard the kind of voice she had as she sang that Alicia Key's song...

it was then that I knew exactly what I wanted to be for the rest of my life.

Ten years later and I was blessed enough to call the same girl who inspired me the love of my life.

"I've never seen someone so beautiful," my chin rested in my hand after watching Lauren finish a scene for a music video. I looked down to Finn unsurprisingly playing a video game. Nothing changed there. I just couldn't wait till he noticed how much I really loved his mother.

It was nearing the end of March which meant Lauren's album was releasing very soon. More like the end of this week. I couldn't believe in just one year since reuniting with her, from seeing how lost and damaged she was last March, she'd be here now better than ever. Earning a good $40M in six months helped too but to see how she could do that in a year compared to how the first half went was unprecedented. Not just the money but the growth she made inspired me all over again. She truly came up from nothing. A second time.

Traveling with Lauren now was exhausting. Not just because of the long flights but the commotion that awaited for us everywhere we went. Hundreds and I mean hundreds of fans swarmed LAX, even before we made it into the building. Paparazzi made it worse for that matter. I tried protecting Finn as best as I could but it was almost impossible.

"Goddamn they're energetic today," Lauren chuckled, recording on her phone the amount of crazed fans pounding on the windows of the car. 

"It's okay, baby. We're almost there," I cooed Finn as I held him close. He was covering his eyes, scared of the hectic scene like usual.

"Remember this, Lauren? This is how famous you are," Keana laughed.

"Could never forget. I'll always love their craziness," she smiled to herself. And I smiled too. 

This was who Lauren Jauregui was. One of the most famous women in music. It's where she belonged. Nowhere but the spotlight, entertaining millions who adored her.

Her phone then rang for the umpteenth time since we woke up this morning, probably from one of her agents. But as soon as I saw her expression turn into a concerned yet paralyzed shock, the rhythm was completely different. 

"Woah woah, Calv, slow down. She's where?" she covered her other ear to hear better. 

"Babe?" I then grew worried.

"She's in the fucking- shit. Josh, turn the fucking car around!" she quickly hung up to yell at the driver.

"Lauren, you have interviews and meetings in New York today. What the hell are you doing?" Keana stepped in.

"Babe, please, what's going on?" I questioned again, beginning to get terrified.

"My mother's in the fucking hospital. Josh, please!" she raised her voice, causing my heart to sink. Oh shit.