TWO

She untied and retied the wrapper firmly on her small waist, then picked up the big tulu-clay pot and made her way outside. It's time to go and fetch water from the stream as usual. She just came back from hawking. Her headache was increasing due to not sleeping and crying the previous night, but she dare not complain about it.

The frigid breeze kissed her face the moment she stepped out of the house, the feeling of safety overwashed her. Maybe, just maybe there was someone out there that cares, someone who would be heartbroken when he hears about her departure. But she doubt that! Nobody except your own mother cared about her.
The world of kind and good hearted people is no more. It is now full of cruel , brutal, sadistic, vicious and mean people!

The feeling was immediately replaced with panic when she sighted Yaya Sule coming the same direction as she is.

He was walking abnormally, his left hand grasps a bottle. All in all, he's drunk. Maryam stayed rooted, panicky watching him . He stumbled into the house almost knocking her down. Finally back to her senses, she paced to the stream with a pounding heartbeat . After what he did to her, she dreaded his presence, he disgusted her. To her, he's worst than Inna saude.

Half way to the stream, she sighted a group of girls walking the same lane to the stream. She immediately figured out it were her friends. Pacing closer to them she saw it was Amina (Meeno), Aisha (Indo), Khadija (Dije), and Kandala.

''He's not even ashamed of himself! Ni Dije inso Musa, har abada- I Dije will never love Musa." Dije's voice welcomed her as soon as she caught up with the group of girls.

"Ai ni se Alhaji, mai naira, mai hawa motar da tafi ta kansila-I'm only associated with Alhaji's, with money and who rides a better car than that of the counselor's." She added dreamily.

Maryam immediately pitied the girl. The truth is the girl wasn't that beautiful. But, she was so determined in marrying a wealthy person. After all, that's the key to marry a wealthy person nowadays; the looks...

All the other girls were shushed listening to her babbling and making different faces. Some even turning around to laugh off when she wasn't looking.

*****

Two pair of hands concealing both her eyes was what jolted her out of her trance. The hands were large and definitely didn't belong to a female. The memories start rushing back to her. What he did to her that night. When he came back drunk just like she saw him earlier. His eyes completely black.

Could it be he has followed her to the stream?

The thought sent shivers down her spine. Slowly, she grabbed a stick close to her and held it firmly in her hands. She wasn't going to be weak, she's going to fight him this time. If he thinks he's going to mess up with her and go with it again, then he's definitely thinking wrong!

She turned in a swift and hit who ever it is with the peace of branch severally, aiming him at the shoulder.

"Woah, woah, woah. Having a bad mood today?" Malik question rubbing his shoulder, a hint of amusement in his voice.

"Oh MY Allah, I'm...I I'm...s... sorry." She stuttered. Her cheeks red with embarrassment.

Malik was like a best friend to her. Remember; I said to her. But to him, she's a jewel. Which he wish could be his. He confessed his feelings to her but Maryam thought it was too early, hence with Inna saude torture, she doesn't think she could wait any longer. And yes, she has a crush on him. Well who couldn't gave a crush on the black and silky fulani curls, bright sky like eyes sitting perfectly underneath full arched brows. Rosy plumpy lips beneath long pointed nose. He's drop dead gorgeous.

*****

Muttering "Alhmadullillah." she fixed the tulu on the ground gently and rose up. It's the 7th and last batch of the water she's been fetching, hopefully it'll last for the rest of the day and half of the next before she goes to fetch another one.

She made her way to the three large adjoined stones to start some fire, limping slowly due to her aching legs. Her pounding headache wasn't missed out too.

"Inna yakika ganni?- how do I look?" Zainab or zee baby as she's preferred to be addressed with emerged from the room. Hands akimbo, body slightly bent and a toothy smile on her dark face. She's wearing a tight sparkly pink shirt paired with ankara wrapper and headgear. Some one would think there's a camera man ready to capture her.

Her eyebrows, which looked more like large rectangles were done with red eyepencil, the eyeliner or kohl (you can't point out which is which) is displaced all around her eyes. The red lipstick, smeared around her lips. All in all she looked totally hideous.

Maryam tried so hard to suppress her laughter but failed miserably. Albeit her knowing nothing about make up, she sure thinks an eyebrow isn't done with red .

''Inna! Kinga metake yi koh?-you see what she's doing?" Zee baby spat pointing an accusing finger at her.

"Yar Inna, kyale ta,zanyi maganinta. Kin hadu sosai fah zee baby nah-Momma's child, leave her alone I'll teach her a lesson. You look stunning my zee baby." Inna saude comforted her beloved child. Accusingly eyeing Maryam who was subconsciously crying, she knew what her punishment is..

She won't eat for the rest of the day and the next!!

*****

Aeeeshatuhx