TWENTY-EIGHT

I've had this chapter in my mind since I started writing this book:D

Enjoyyyyy💕

*****

At that moment, Maryam realized that her whole life has been going on in circles. It has been a repetition of content, then sorrow. She would reach a point in life where she thinks she's happy with what she has, then to a moment where she has no other wish than to die. Take for instance when she got married to Malik. Then, her joy knew no bounds. But then, there came the moment he divorced her, that is the devastating moment. Hajiya Bilki and Alhaji Dawood had took her to a restaurant, made her feel loved, important and happy. That is the joyful moment. Then, they dragged her from her home to their dirty business. Again, a devastating moment. That is the exact thing happening to her right now, Sudais and Hajarah had took care of her and gave her a place to stay. And now, they're here to impose another way of torture on her. Just the way everyone did, Inna Saude, her father, Malik, her mother-in-law, Hajiya Bilki, Alhaji Dawood, even her own mother. She had left her. Her mother knew she was feeble, lost and naive yet she chose to leave her that night. Why are people so heartless?

Maryam tiptoed to the edge of the bed. Beneath it, she retrieved a baseball bat she had specifically kept incase a situation like this arises. And to be honest, she was certain it will. She tightened her grasp on the bat as she stood behind the door. The footsteps grew closer and she raised the bat higher, ready to swing it at the person. Slowly, the door was being pushed. As soon as Maryam could make out the figure of the intruder, she took the first swing.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!" The person screamed, clutching their head which has been hit. Maryam was terrified at the sound, hence she found herself screeming along with the person, dumbly. However, that did not stop her from hitting the person continuously. The person managed to get a hold of the bat and wasted no time in flinging it across the room.

"What the f*ck is wrong with you?!" The person yelled at Maryam, tending to his aching body. Maryam only heaved out breaths as a reply.

"Who are you and what are you doing in my room?" The person asked with a much calmer voice after they've successfully regulated their breaths.

Maryam let her gaze fall to the ground. Who is she? How would she reply to this question? As far as she's concerned, she has absolutely no idea who she is anymore. She's just a body with a live. That's what she is, a living body, no soul, no purpose.

"Maryam what is happening? I heard screams, is everything alright?" That was Hajarah, running all the way from the South wing of the mansion along with Sudais. She reached the doorstep atlast, her mouth forming an O shape as she took in the scenario. Then suddenly, her face broke into a huge grin.

"Babana! When did you arrive? Why didn't you tell me you were coming?" Hajarah and the person engulfed each other in a bear hug. Sudais also shook his hand as they greeted. Maryam watched them awkwardly.

"Actually, just now. It was meant to be a surprise that's why I didn't inform you. When I got in, you were already asleep so I decided to just retire for the day." The person replied. "Which leads to my own question. Who's this and what is she doing in my room?" The person repeated his earlier question. Only this time, it was directed at Hajarah.

"Oh forgive me." Hajarah waved her hand, chuckling. "This beautiful young lady here, is Maryam. And Maryam, this is my baby boy, Sufyan." She introduced them to each other.

Sufyan, whom Maryam had just got to know his name scowled when his mother addressed him as 'baby boy'. "Okayy, what is she doing in my room?" He pressed further.