TWENTY-SIX

This one is dedicated to all of you who have voted and commented on the previous chapters, thank y'all 💖💖

Enjoy!!!

*****

The night has been so far favourable for Hajarah. The moon dominated the sky and the sparkling stars were left to follow it's lead. Apart from the occasional cries of insects and other pests, the atmosphere was as serene as it could be. The chilly air that buzzed around hit her skin delicately, tickling it to the core.

She walked hand in hand with her husband, talking randomly and enjoying eachothers company, like they do every Sunday. To Hajarah, this was the special day of her week. The day she awaits for, as soon as the next morning rolls in.

Now, they had had their dinner in one of the most fancy restaurants in Porthacourt. So they have thought why not take a little stroll around. Besides it is advisable to not idle around after a meal.

For Sudais, everything around him felt magical. Like the flowers across the field had stitched their petals into elegant crowns just for them, like the gentle breeze hails and whisper praise each time it flee, like the ground before them was a giant bridge that stretched all the way to a castle, the one where he'll be king and she'll be his queen.

"Since we are going to be honest then, yellow does not look good on you." The most pleasant sound in Sudais ears, ever so soft and low dragged him out of his reverie. He blinked as her words registered in his brain.

"That is, harsh." He gasped, and she giggled at his reaction.

"Remember, that day, you were really anxious about the meeting, and running late too. You were angry for no reason technically! There you stood, with a deep scowl on your face and asked, 'how do I look?'" Sudais chuckled, throwing his head back as he did, vividly recalling that morning. It was one of those days when everything wasn't going as planned.

"What was I supposed to say?!" She rhetorted.

"You look charming, like the banana pie I baked yesterday." Sudais replied, quoting her answer from that same day.

"And to say you're horrible at baking." Sudais mumbled under his breath.

That very moment, an ice-cream shop was right across the street from them. They fled to it's door, after sparing a knowing look at each other's way. Some minutes later, they were paving back to the car, silently licking from their cones.

It was a moment of bliss no one dared to interrupt. A moment when only one thing matters, the sweet goodness in the comfort of their palms. Sudais was first to finish his and he disposed the cone of biscuit, as he despises the tasteless biscuit, contrary to what it homed.

He started the car and began to drive. The ride was quiet afterwards, that is until a certain suppressed laugh couldn't help but escape from within Hajarah. Sudais cast a questioning look at her.

"What is so amusing?" He asked, curiosity shining in his brown eyes.

Hajarah giggled even harder than before, "Is there something on my face?"

Instead of waiting for an answer from his wife, Sudais used a handkerchief and made a failed attempt of cleaning his face.

Hajarah shook her head, still amused. She took the handkerchief from him, "For an old man like you, you still eat like a six year old." She wiped the cream on his chin away, leaving a trail of smile on both their lips.

"And thank you, really, for letting me make a fool out of myself." He rolled his eyes.

Hajarah did not answer him. Instead, her eyes, a perfect portrayal of horror was watching the road ahead. Sudais followed her gaze and immediately he did, he blared his horn and hit the break, cursing under his breath.