SEVENTEEN

What you can't get out of, get into wholeheartedly. ~Mignon McLaughlin.

RAMADAN KAREEM, LOVELIES!!🌙☄❤

*****

The weather is unusually hot. The scorching rays of sun made sure it announced it's presence to not only anyone outdoor, but indoor too. She sat on the chair, facing the window silently and watched the nature outside. From every leaf that fell from a tree, to a twig. The tree that sways to the wind faster than the others. She watched everything unfold before her.

It seems to be the only thing that calms her mind down for the past four days. It's like a way of keeping her mind busy, stopping her self from thinking too much. She sighed and swat away the sweat on her forehead when she spotted two dead leaves dance their way to the ground. However, one thing she had been anticipating to see but certainly didn't, is a vehicle. Or better yet, a live human. That did left Maryam tensed and she wondered why someone would build a house in the nook of a forest.

"Salam." Zeenah came in carrying plates of delicacies with both hands and pushed the door closed with her bottom. Maryam muttered an answer and glanced at her for a second before turning to her previous position. She's clad in an elegant topaz gown, the neck and hands of the dress embroidered, she matched the outfit with a black veil which she tied messily around her head. Maryam examined her own tatterd and faded ankara which was sewn into a simple skirt and blouse. It's no where near Zeenah's gorgeous dress but she'd rather wear it than wear the ones Alhaji Dawood had bought her. She knows the reason behind his hospitality afterall.

Zeenah carefully placed the plate of grapes and pancake on the bed. She popped a grape in her mouth and munched loudly trying to get Maryam's attention.

"Ughh!, I don't know what's wrong with Aunt Bilki." She went for plan B sensing A isn't working. The mention of Hajiya Bilki's name steered Maryam's attention to Zeenah. She felt her breathe hitch, since the night of the incident Maryam hadn't stepped out of the room for once. She had heard Hajiya Bilki's voice a couple of times and sometimes she hears her footsteps around the corridor but she never came inside the room which is a win for her.

"Would you like some?". Zeenah smiled sweetly. Everyone is in for a little gossip afterall. She mused.

"No, thanks ". Maryam mumbled. She badly wants to know what Zeenah was about to say about Hajiya Bilki but she tamed the temptation.

"But you didn't eat dinner yesterday. And lunch. And breakfast ". Zeenah remarked, shaking her hands in the air for emphasis. She didn't wait for a reply from Maryam as she dashed to her suitcase when an idea popped in her mind. She zipped it open and searched for something, ruffling her clothes in the process. Hidden in the dept of the trolley is a bucket of Malteasers chocolate. She wiped the invisible sweat off her forehead and heaved a sigh when she brought it out. She was undoubtefuly panicked at first.

Maryam puzzedly watched her as she arranged a number of chocolate balls on a pancake then rolled it to a cylinder. She repeated the same on the other one.

"Your going to weep sweet tears of joy when you eat this. Not the salty type, ah the sugary type". She gleefully sing-songed and handed one to Maryam with a wink, then bit into her own. Maryam hesitantly took a bite, pushing down the moan that threatened to escape her lips. Zeenah gave her an 'I told you' look when she dawned her own in no time.

"Here, have mine." Zeenah grinned when Maryam licked her fingers.

"Thanks." Maryam had never tasted something sweet in her life. Just then she realized how hungry she is, but she doesn't have the appetite to eat. Well, if not for this delicious thing. They ate the food in a comfortable silence but Maryam couldn't push down the nagging feeling of wanting to hear what Zeenah was about to say earlier. She thought of a way to ask her without sounding nosy enough. She cleared her croaky throat atlast, carefully choosing the right words to use.