THIRTY-SEVEN

The content of the mug swirls and swirls around, as per the direction of the spoon. Lost in the sight of the jiggling steam that escapes as she stirs, Maryam had failed to acknowledge her tea might get cold from that unceasing action.

Beside her, warmth emanates from the fire place and gently sweeps through her and her grandpa's coated bodies.

"So I agreed. But it came with consequences. And that is, Salma will never step foot in my house again and I will not provide any house appliance for the wedding, no chairs, no tables, no t.v, nothing." He paused, bringing the mug to his lips and sipped. Maryam glanced at her own cup, deliberating whether to do the same.

"I really thought she would crack. But it seems I gave birth to a daughter I don't quite understand." She picked her spoon and gave her tea another stir.

"You see, I am a man of my words. Once I talk, I talk with finality. Salma knew that, yet she agreed to go ahead and marry a common man. She agreed to leave a posh and comfortable life, for a life in the village, all because of love." He shook his head, as if not believing something as small was capable of making someone take such massive decision.

Maryam nodded absentmindly. Love. Was she capable of doing what her mom did? She paused, no it wasn't just love that made her do it. It was also courage, her mom was courageous enough to stand up for what she wanted.

"It seems like you have forgotten all you did to win my heart." Her grandmother, Hajja Hafsat, popularly regarded as Hajja came into the room, a plate of freshly baked chocolate cookies in her hands. She sat beside Maryam on the sofa, placed the plate on her laps and gave her a soft caress on the cheeks. "I'll tell you everything later." She winked at Maryam.

"Oh I know! And that's why I don't blame Salma. I was just afraid she was might get hurt. I was scared that I wouldn't be able to protect her. I didn't want my princess out of my sight." He paused his lips.

"Oh well! The things we do for love." Hajja smiled bitterly, stood and walked out dejectedly.

A second later, she peeked through the door. "Time to go, your ride is here." Maryam nodded, just as her grandpa added.

"I just want you to know, even though I let my anger get the best of me, even though I vowed never to speak with your mother again, which I did, countless times, I sent her letters, many of them." He laughed lightly. "I love your mother so much, and the day I met you is the best day of my life."

Maryam gave him a bear hug and bade them farewell as they embarked in a journey back home, along with Sufyan.

*****

The clock read 9:17 in the night. Maryam glossed her lips for the second time, applied a dash of mascara and exited the room.

"Hello cousin." Sufyan greeted, opening the car door for her.

They alighted at the parking area of a fancy restaurant, welcomed with greetings and merry smiles by the staff who showed them to their table. Maryam had not expected to find herself there, she would have made extra effort on her dressing.

"Did I mention you look beautiful?" As they took their seats across from each other, Sufyan said to her. Maryam smiled, yes he had. "Well you do." He added.

Maryam let Sufyan order for the both of them, seeing as she couldn't pronounce anything written on the menue. Their food came, steaming in the confines of the platter, a beautiful sight that made Maryam eager to dig in.

They ate in silence, until Sufyan broke it when they were almost through with their meals.

"Where is he?" He asked, taking a napkin to dab on his mouth. Maryam rose her brows questionably. "Your husband." He added, regarding her with all his attention.

"Ohh!" Maryam choked on the food in her mouth. She gupled down some water. "Uhh... we've separated." She said, thinking of where the conversation came from and where it's headed to.

Sufyan nodded, a little taken aback. "Do you still love him?" He asked again.

Maryam glanced around, fearing people might be hearing their conversations. When she glanced back at Sufyan, he looked like he couldn't care less they were in no place to have such talk.

"You know what? Don't answer that." Said Sufyan. "I don't want what you have to say to stop me from telling you this."

Maryam stayed quiet. "I love you Miriam. Right from the first day I laid my eyes on you, I knew I wanted to spend the rest of my life with you. For the past one year, I have seen you battle with so many things, I saw you strive and strive everyday. But you don't have to anymore. Give me a chance, let me make you happy." Sufyan realized her eyes were downcast.

"Miriam." He called, urging her to look up. "I will always be here for you. Always."

Several moments of silence settled between them. Maryam wanted to say something. Anything. Like how she felt thesame way. Like how she wanted to spend the rest of her life with him. But she thought of Malik's wretched face the last time she saw him, gazing at her with teary eyes, and she kept mum. She thought of the blazing face of her mother-in-law, thundering at her husband to divorce her, pushing her out of her husband's house.

No. It didn't feel right, to forget all of that and stumble into another relationship. There was more to it than what she knew. She needed answers. Desperately.

So as she stared at Sufyan, with glossy eyes filled with silent apologizes, she hoped he will understand. That she was like a huge ball of tangled mysteries, too messed up. She hoped he would understand he was too good for her. She didn't deserve him.

"Take me home, please."

*****

Nobody should come for me😋😋

Fifty comments and I'll post the next chapter😇

Aeeeshatuhxx