NINE

A BIG HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Mss_Gujbawu. Age with grace darling 💗💗

RECAP

"She is wrong with me! Either you divorce her or you're no more my son!!!"

*****

"Oh no, no please." Maryam weakly whispered, paddling to the room to fetch a hijab. It was better to leave before things turn out from bad to worst, she decided. She'll just go somewhere and spend the night there, maybe Indo's or Kandala's house. Maybe Hajiya Faltama would calm down overnight and realize what she's doing is wrong and apologize. Maybe this was all a nightmare, and it's all going to be alright when she wakes up tomorrow in the morning.

"The only thing you're permitted to carry is a head cover!" Hajiya Faltama continued. "You didn't come to this house with a stick of your own!" Her words froze Maraym by the door. She gulped and continued to her  destination.

As hurtful as her words were, they're true. Even the four laugages that were brought full of marvelous wares won't ample one if all of them are to be gathered together. Inna Saude had carried almost all the beautiful things and Maryam herself had given some to her friends, because she saw how they were pretty much in love with them.

She carried a hijab and exited the room. "Come here." Hajiya Faltama said as she entered the living room. Maryam walked to where she's standing with her hands akimbo and feet tapping the ground. She lowered her gaze to the ground.

"Are you just going to stand there?! Decrease your height on the ground!" She spat at Maryam disgustingly. She then moved to grab what seems like a papper and biro from her bag and gave it to Malik.

"Write her the divorce letter." She said authoritatively. Malik was silent for several seconds, looking intently at the piece of papper and for a brief Maryam thought he was going to do it. Going to divorce her.

"No." He finally said, looking at his mother calmly. "I have no reason to do it, so I'm not divorcing her." 

"I'm cursing upon you if you don't divorce her!" She solemly grit.

"Stop talking like that Mama, you need to calm down." He whispered, looking lost and helpless.

'May Allah -'. She started angrily but he cut her off.

"No! Wait!" He wiped the tears that has gathered in his eyes. That was when Maryam felt the wetness on her hands too that were placed on her face. He turned his head, his gaze meeting her's. His eyes are bloodshot. When he made no move to talk, Hajiya Faltama spoke again.

"I'm giving you five seconds to do that! If not, just take it as I'm no more your mother." She said impatiently.

"One!"

"Two!"

"Three!" This time she said it louder. As if promising she'll keep her words.

"I.. I..." Malik stuttered with a coarse voice. Maryam couldn't bring herself to look up from the ground. She  couldn't think straight, she felt too numb to do anything, the only thing her body is able to do is pour out salty water. And all she's hearing is the word 'divorcee ' for a brief, they're chanting.

Divorcee!
Divorcee!!
Divorcee!!!

It's all getting louder by the second.

"Four!" The devils voice yet again vibrated the atmosphere. Maryam  closed her eyes, bracing herself for the worse. Afterall she gets it, she was never meant to be happy. Whenever she is happy, life and it's servants promise to make it brief. And on the other hand, she would never forgive herself knowing she's the reason behind Malik being cursed. That would be an extra nightmare that would hunt her forever. She knew what it feels like to lose a mother, the only person who loves you dearly.

"I divorce you." Finally he said the words. The three words that would change her life forever. The words that'll make them chant and laugh at her. The words that brought an end to her happiness.

She let out a loud sob and rested her head on the ground. That was it, it's all over.

"Good." She respond, Maryam could feel the smile she's possessing.

"Do you want him to write it down?" Hajiya Faltama said mockingly, using her toe to poke Maryam on my head. Maryam wiped away her tears and shook her head.

"Now, let's have a word." She clapped her hands and dragged Maryam near the door.

"You're going home now. Spend a day and come back the next. Understood?" She asked. Maryam nodded.

"I want to have a word too." Malik's voice interrupted the moment.

"No!" Hajiya Faltama answered. "Now off you go." She shooed Maryam out the door. Maryam glance one more time at Malik and instantly regretted doing so. With a broken heart, she exited the house.

The figure of a woman anxiously pacing to and fro caught her attention the moment she exited the house. Just in cue, the woman's gaze met with Maryam, but she couldn't recognize her because of the dull light.

The woman paced closer to her in a fast speed. Only when she was inches away from her did she see her face clearly, Inna Saude.

What is she doing here?

"What are you doing here?" Maryam  found herself  voicing out with a hoarse voice.

"Yimin shuru! Zo muje!"--shut up! Let's go. She dragged Maryam by her arm along with her. Maryam kept mute following her to wherever she's taking her, whilst crying silently. They finally came to a halt at the familiar door of her house.

"Gobe kinada bako."--You have a visitor tomorrow. Inna Saude said when they were inside the house. With that, she left Maryam infront of her room.

*****

Assalamu Alaikum!

I hope I've met y'all in complete health?

Make Sure you make that star full with colour and send me your incredible thoughts!

Aeeeshatuhxx