TWENTY

The wound is the place where the light enters you.

~Rumi.

*****

The hot water hit her skin aggressively, turning it to a bright pink hue. She hummed softly, paying less heed to it's burning sensation. But even after several minutes of staying beneath the boiling water and scrubbing her skin as though demanding a new set, Maryam could still feel the filth lurking around her body. Absolutely disgusting, just like herself.

Exasperatedly breathing out, cold tears emerged from her eyes. Just like her heart, so cold. Her legs weakened, slowly letting themselves slide down on the bathtub folded, she held them securely with both hands. And just like that, the single thinned string holding her snapped, and the breathless sobs she had been holding in came forth.

She wouldn't mind dying, not really. It'll be a relief to every one else anyways. But she told herself, if not for anyone, for Zeenah's sake. She deserves to be looked after, that is a silently vow she had made.

They waited a few more days in the cell, before she came. Like she usually does once in a week. Those days were spent pouring out emotions, telling each other their past and pains. It was the first time Maryam opened up to anyone, she was glad that person was Zeenah.

When she stood at the entrance, awaiting some 'good news', they had locked eyes, silently urging eachother. It was hard, but they did it. They agreed. Maryam knew, it is yet the worst mistake she had ever made in her life. And she will regret it, surely.

The water grew cold and Maryam reluctantly plunged herself out of the shower with a grunt. She wrapped a towel around her body and ambled out of the bathroom. She picked out a faded ankara wrapper and paired it with a different blouse because it's pair is tattered and unsuitable to wear on. A silky black veil is wrapped around her head, keeping her wild hair in place. Atlast, she covered herself with her long, shredded hijab.

Plopping herself on the bed, a soft sigh escaped her lips as her eyes fondly dart around the room they settled in since their arrival. Everything looks in place. Neat, white and tidy. It would have been abit of a nice room to live in, if it wasn't for the turmoil enveloping it.

Quite snores brought her out of her reverie. She glanced at Zeenah's sleeping figure. Even at her dormant state, a frown marred her brown face. She might not admit it, but she really misses her smiles. They were reassuring, and made her feel better everytime. But it is said, you never know how important something is to you, until it's gone.

There was a knock at the door, Madam sauntered in with Dr. James right in tour. He greeted Maryam with a smile and went ahead to check Zeenah's injuries. She has a broken leg and the wound on her forehead was severely infected.

"Please, make sure when she wakes up she eats and takes her medications." He cautioned when he was done with the check-outs, pausing his lips in distaste.

"Ofcause doc. I'll make sure of it. I never knew slippery floors are this dangerous." She lied smoothly, waving it off with a laugh.

"They are infact very dangerous Madam, you all should be carefull." He answered, oblivious to her lies.

"I'll take my leave, don't hesitate to contact me if anything happens." He nods professionally. They both sauntered out and Maryam finally breathe out.

A throat cleared, startling Maryam. Her stomach tangled in knots as her hazel eyes connect with the person. Hajiya Bilki.

"Follow me." She blowed the gum in her mouth till it popped loudly.

As Maryam stared at her, half the reason she's where she is, it took everything in her not to lunge at her and make her go through what she's making them go through, make her feel the pain she induced to them. Maryam wondered how many other poor girls she had lied to and lured into their dark business.

"I thought I was Dawood's wife. Why would he let his wife be involved with all this?" Maryam's voice was cold and hard as she spoke. Hajiya Bilki laughed, really hard.

"Oh Maryam! So naive as I thought. You were no ones wife to begin with. It was all part of the plan." Her tone was proud. Maryam couldn't loathe the woman any much.

"I won't repeat my self, follow me." She turned on her heels.

Maryam glanced at Zeenah's sleeping frame before walking out. And together, they head to the meeting hall once again.

*****

It's quiet, absolutely silent in the meeting room. Just like the previous time, it seems like only her presence is being awaited. She settled on a chair amongst the crowd of girls, all ranging from the ages of mid-twenties to late-thirties. All eyes finally left her and turned to Madam as she began speaking.

"Salima, you are hooked-up with Alhaji Bukar at 3pm. Sugar, with Mr Golden at 5pm. Sisi, with Sir Boss at 8pm and Nancy, with Dr Emeka at 11pm. For tomorrow, Zulai ...," And the list, being read like school timetables went on and on.

The meeting ended shortly. Maryam felt more than glad for not hearing her name being called. She got up, in hope to fleet away admist the crowd unnoticed. But that hope shattered when she heard her name being called. When she turned, Madam is right behind her.

"I wanted you to start working together with your friend but since she isn't stable to start anytime soon, you will." She smiled.

"Mary will get your measurements and I'll take care of your wardrobe. You'll start working in two days time."

Back in the room, Maryam broke down on the bed. The little encounter with Madam was like the last confirmation she needed to be certain it's happening. It hurts. It hurts so much to watch your life crumbling down, espacially when you know you can't do anything about it.

"Maryam?" Zeenah's husky voice called. Just hearing it made her heart shatter a thousand times more. She engulfed her in a tight hug and together, they cried in each other's arms.

*****

Leave a vote and drop your thoughts on the comment section. It'll really be appreciated. Thank you!!!♡

Assalamu alaikum.

Aeeeshatuhxx