Chapter 8

"I have a mission." I explained to the group.

Everyone was sitting around a small table as I told them what I had seen during my talk with Kronos.

"Lucky!" I heard Noah whisper, but I didn't feel very lucky.

"He told me about the quest from Camp Half-Blood. Two demigods and a satyr were going on a quest to find the lightning bolt.

"Luke." Pheobe said, "He managed to convince Chiron that he should go. He's one of the demigods."

I nodded, "When Luke made me spy a girl named Annabeth recieved a prophecy. I bet the other demigod is her."

"And the faun?" After recieving a confused look, Katelyn corrected herself, "Satyr. Sorry."

"Not sure." Mark put in, "Maybe that one dude Luke mentioned. Grumpy or something?"

I felt a chill go down my spine. "Grover. Grover Underwood."

Katelyn nodded, "Yeah. Do you- ohhhh."

Katelyn had been one of the ones to bring me to this place. She knew where I had been before. She knew that Grover had been my best friend.

I wanted to say he still is, but I can't be sure. We're enemies now.

"Yeah. Grover." I said, "So when are they leaving?"

"Well if this Annabelle girl got a prophecy, then they should be leaving soon." Noah told us.

"Annabeth." I corrected. Somehow, I figured she would not like being called anything but her name.

"How will you get there?" Pheobe asked.

"I can drive him if he wants." Katelyn said. I remembered the last time I had been in the car with her. It was labeled under my 'worst memories' part in my mind.

I shook my head, "No. Is there any other way?"

"Pegasi?" Mark questioned, "Maybe they'll like him. You know, son of Poseidon and all."

"Worth a try." Pheobe grabbed my arm and led me to the stables.

***

Stables isn't exactly the right word for what I saw.

There were three stalls with three pegasi. One was brown, one white, and one black. They were skinner than I thought a pegasus should be. They looked scared and untamed. I didn't like seeing them like this and somehow knew it was wrong.

"Do you feed them? What about tame them? Do they even have names?"

"Of course we feed them. But that's Silena's job and she's rarely here. Tame them? Get them to fly and its good. Names? Whichever you choose you get to name. Silena owns the white one. Says her name is frost. Other two are open."

"Ok." I told her, "I think I can take it from here."

Pheobe shrugged and left, leaving me alone with the pegasi.

I was trying to decide what I was going to say when a voice spoke in my mind.

Do you got any donuts?

I looked at the three pegasi, remembering that I could apparently talk to horses.

"Which one of you said that?" I asked.

The black one snorted and stomped a hoof.

Me! The names Blackjack. And we pegasi like donuts. So you got any donuts?

"I don't. Sorry Blackjack." I told the horse. "But uh, if you help me maybe I can get you some?"

Sounds great! You're the boss!

It felt weird being called 'the boss' by a pegasus, but I ignored it.

"So, will you help?"

If it includes donuts, I'm in!

I laughed. "I'm gonna give all of you some food before I leave. You look like you need it." I grabbed a brown bag sitting in the corner. I figured it was what the pegasi ate.

I poured some in the trough in Frost's stall and the white pegasus bowed.

Thank you, Perseus.

Her voice was higher than Blackjack's and a lot more professional.

"You deserve it, Frost." I told her.

I gave some food to the brown pegasus and he attacked it immediately, finishing about half of it before I moved on. I decided to give him some more.

Thank you, thank you! And you asked names earlier. I am Carmel.

"Glad I could help." I told him. Then, I gave Blackjack food.

As the three horses ate I decided I would help them be recognized.

I found three metal plates and managed to carve the names of the horses into them.

I put the plates with the names in front of the correct horses. They neighed a thank you! and I decided to give them a little more food.

"I'll take care of you guys when Silena isn't here." I told them.

I found a saddle and a halter and reigns. I looked back at Blackjack and put them away. Somehow, I knew I could trust this pegasus.

I opened Blackjack's stall and he trotted out, spreading his magnificent wings. He nodded his head and bent down to let me get on.

Let's go Boss!

"Don't call me boss." I told him, then i turned to the other two, "I'll come back and when I do, I'll make sure you're cared for."

They neighed their thanks before I pressed a green button and Blackjack spread his wings and we soared through the now open window.