Chapter 12

The next few years were no less interesting. My second year, I turned 13. Camp Half-Blood sent a quest to find the Golden Fleece to save Thalia's tree. Luke had told me the story behind Thalia and his hatred for the gods.

I understood him and why he was angry. I was too, but sometimes, I felt wrong about where I was. I could imagine myself as a member of Camp Half-Blood. Grover would still be my best friend, and I'd be with my kind. Fellow half-bloods.

Sure, I liked where I was. I had many friends, Luke, Pheobe, Matt, Katelyn, Cameron, and all the others on Kronos' side. We had recruited a few new demigods that year too, including Chris Rodriguez, a son of Hermes.

We also recruited Nicole, a daughter of Aphrodite, Will, a son of Nemesis, the goddess of Revenge, and George, a son of Ares.

We made our move when they were on their way back. I was surprised at how many there were. I had heard that there were usually three sent on a quest, but five people stood facing us.

Annabeth Chase, a daughter of Athena, a boy who looked a lot like her, I figured they were siblings. I'd later learn his name was Malcom. Grover Underwood stood next to them. He looked scared, then he saw me. He mouthed my name and continued to stare.

I smiled at him, before turning away. It was times like those that made me question my decisions.

There was a big dude who looked to be around 16. I recognized him from pictures, Charles Beckendorf. Silena's boyfriend.

Lastly, was someone I didn't recognize. He was tall and skinny, but his facial expression and the sword at his side told me I shouldn't mess with him.

Sadly, I had to.

"Where's the fleece?" Luke had asked. "Just hand it over, and we might let you live." He grinned as if this was an everyday conversation.

"Gone." Annabeth stepped forward.

Luke eyed the crowd, "Clarisse." He cursed before turning towards a few monster guards. "Go to the Miami airport. Stop Clarisse. We can't let her get to the camp."

They had nodded and rushed off.

Luke then looked at the demigods. "Can't fight your way out of this one, huh?"

"Oh, shut it, Luke. You think you're so great because you're on Kronos' side? It's gonna be the losing side. And why don't you tell your goons to release us and I'll fight you right now!" Annabeth yelled.

"Tempting as that is, Annie, you're forgetting my secret weapon." He patted me on the head, which I found very annoying.

Malcom looked confused, "What?"

"Ooh, Grover..." Luke smirked, "Never told them about you're suspicions about Percy? Tsk tsk. They were right you know. You're looking at the child of the prophecy. And which side is he on? Oh! He's standing next to me. Guess that means you lose, too bad." He shrugged.

Grover was staring at me now, as if mentally pleading me to cut them free and fight with them. Annabeth and Malcom seemed to analyze me, as if waiting for me to make a move. Beckendorf rubbed his hands together, which made me think that he was thinking of the best way to turn me into scrap pieces for his workshop. The other dude looked as if he wanted to kill me.

Nothing happened for about a minute after that conversation. I had zoned out, imagining an alternative universe of some sort where I was on the god's side. I imagined myself as best friends with Grover, and even Annabeth. For some reason, that was always a topic in my mind. Whenever my mind wandered, I thought about the other side and the friends I would have.