Chapter 16

"Family Luke," She took a shuddering breath, "You promised."

Ouch.

I watched as Kronos stumbled back. "Promise..." He whispered.

I exchanged a smile with Nico. This was no Kronos. This was Luke.

Luke stumbled back until he hit the wall. He slowly slid down. His blue eyes were unfocused as he stared at the group.

Annabeth inched forward. Her dagger was held out in front of her.

Grover, who had gotten up a second ago, was next to me and Nico as we circled around the two demigods.

"Luke?" She asked.

"Annabeth..." He whispered.

I looked around and saw that his sword lay a few feet away. I walked over and grabbed it, holding it by my side. Luke noticed this and nodded at me.

Now?

My mind went back to the last conversation I had with Luke, the real Luke before this whole "possessed by Kronos" thing started.

"Percy." He whispered. He had pulled me into his room after training one night.

I looked at him.

"Don't look at me like that. I'm sorry to take five minutes of your precious beauty sleep, but this is important."

"Better be." I muttered, crossing my arms.

"Look," he sighed, "I made a mistake. A big mistake."

"What kinda mistake?"

He shook his head, "You'll see. I just want you to know, that when it's time, you're not the hero. Do the thing, even if it hurts."

"What?" I asked, but he was already pushing me out of the room.

"Bye Percy!"

The next day he had been possessed by Kronos.

You're not the hero. What in Hades could that mean?

It stuck with me now as I stared at my fallen friend. Nico was to my left, Grover to my right.

Hero's soul cursed blade shall reap
A single choice will end his days
For Olympus to preserve or raze

Cursed blade?

There were four options. My sword, Luke's sword, Nico's sword, or Annabeth's dagger.

My money was on the last one.

Luke had told me the stories of his time on the run with Annabeth and Thalia. It would make sense for the dagger to be "cursed."

I understood now.

Preserve or raze.

Preserve.

Luke wanted Olympus to preserve.

Why the change of heart, though?

"Percy!" Luke begged, "Do it. He's changing. I won't be here very long anyway."

Grover was looking at me now. Nico looked confused.

Annabeth seemed to understand. "Cursed blade..." She whispered, looking down at the dagger in her hands.

I hesitated, then dropped the swords. They dropped to the palace floor with a clang.

"Annabeth, can I borrow your dagger?" I asked, walking towards her.