chapter 7

I walk down the stairs not sure about what is expected of me. No doubt today is the day I'm going to meet Adam's mother and younger sister. I take a deep breath. Looking at the full length gilded mirror on the wall at the bottom of the stairs. The outfit is lovely. The pale white tunic with soft yellow embroidery is a nice mix of smart casual. A respectful length with pearl piping along the edges.
I should be nervous after all I am about to meet the women who has been the main influence on her son. If she doesn't like me, I can guarantee the next 3 months will be difficult.

Asain mother-in-laws are notoriously difficult to please. Throw in the fact that I'm her son's little secret and I have already conceded that in this house I'm probably going to be enemy number 1.

There is no sign of Adam and I hesitate unsure which way to go. In the end I think it's best to just take the first door and see where it leads me. I am about to turn the handle when I hear someone cough behind me. It's the butler. I can tell from his clothes he is the help, they're smart but functional. He is dressed in traditional Salwar Kameez and is probably in his 60s. He places his hand flat against his chest as a form of respectful greeting and lowers his head slightly and then with the other hand signals I should preceed him through another door. It leads to the back of the house and I am suddenly out on the patio, over looking the gardens. At the table I see Adam and two other women. They all turn to look at me as I enter. Adam stands and comes over to me, walking me to the table. His face gives away nothing. Learning to take his lead, I smile at the women.
Adam's mother is stunning, she has grace and oozes sophistication. She is wearing a silk outfit, fitting for the mother of such a successful son. Thick black hair is tied up in a French bun. She immediately smiles at me and begins to get out of her seat. I rush over, More out of instinctal respect than anything else. As she takes my face in her hands, her expression changes. her eyes scan my face, my hair, eyes, lips and chin which she lifts. For a moment I am still, not sure what she's looking at. But then her serious face reverts back to the smile.. The same eyes as Adam, I note. Where his are hard, hers are warm. I lower my eyes in respect and then say 'aunty ji'as acknowledgement of her position as the matriarch.
'Aunty nai, Ami ji!' She exclaims turning to her son as if he has not explained anything to me- which he hasn't. His smile is critical of us both and his eyebrows knit together in mock irritation. 'lovely, mashallah!' she says to Adam.
His sister Zara isn't as open. She is younger than me, 17, 18 at best. She is petite with long black hair that hangs in rich thick waves down the front if her shirt. She is wearing a sleeveless tunic with flowers embroidered over one shoulder. Fashionable and on trend. she smiles tightly, clearly feeling awkward. Unsure how to respond to me. I smile at her and nod, aware of Adam's perceptive gaze.

I wonder how much he's told his mother as we sit at the table. His mother is sat at the head of the table, I sit at her right. Adam to her left- directly opposite me. His sister beside me. There is a cooked breakfast on the table as well as fresh fruit and it is clear from the plates that they have already begun. 'beytai, I didn't know what you like so I had the masi make asain food, but if there is something you prefer we can arrange that too .. .'

Adam scowls at his mother, clearly not of the same mind that I deserve that much hospitality. I'm a guest to Ami ji but clearly a prisoner to Adam. I smile, 'Actually, Adam was telling me last night how much he would like to start a grapefruit diet!' I say to Aunty without so much as a hint of humour. I turn and look pointedly at his plate full of food. Adam looks at me shocked, not quite comprehending the situation I've placed him in. His mother turns to him immediately 'beytah really?' she is fawning over him and reassuring him he doesn't need to loose any weight or worry about eating healthy. Zara snorts beside me clearly picking up on Adam's annoyance as his mother fusses over him. I smirk at him, raising an eyebrow in challenge. He can't stop glaring at me

'Actually I think you misunderstood what I was saying-' he starts and I just know even before he continues where this is going '- I was trying to make Aya feel better Ami, you know she was saying that she hope's she not too big now.'

Adam's mum's focus does 180 degree turn towards me and I see him grin triumphantly as she turns towards me, he's taking a sip of coffee 'Beyta, you look lovely, you don't need to loose any weight at all. if you are planning to start a family then you need to be healthy not kamzoor!' the words are like a gong signalling the end of a round in a fight. Adam sprays the table with his coffee and we both turn and stare at Adam's mother, mouths open, speechless. she places her hands over ours reassuringly and says 'Today's youngsters. . .'

Beside me, Zara is laughing into her napkin and I just know that our little game has backfired on us. Adam spends the rest of the meal firing dirty looks at me, that could strip paint of walls. but I just smile at him innocently and the question I had before coming into the room is sitting in the forefront of my mind- heavy like lead; his mother is much nicer than I could ever have hoped for and I know I am blessed that she is giving me a chance. I know this whole situation could have just as easily have been completely different. But the thought that she has no idea about the 3 months time limit on this arrangement worries me. She thinks I am here to stay and it feels suspiciously like deception and that unsettles me.

Beytah- child

Kamzoor- weakness/ malnourished/ too skinny

Mashallah- positive connotation, god has blessed it so

shalwar kameez- traditional tunic and trousers

nai- no

ami - mother

ji- respectful title added to a name at the end.