nine

grace
eight months later

I walk down the hallway, for once by myself. It's probably going to be like this for a while, but I can't predict the future.

Most people have their eyes on me, which I don't mind for once. They're probably just realizing that for once, I'm alone. Louis and I are no longer together. I decided that too much was happening with him all at once, and he needed to take a break from being in relationship to fix them.

Now, he's been trying to hide the fact that he hasn't stopped looking at me whenever he sees me. At least it's the end of the day, only one class left. I walk in and sit in the back of the room, a habit I quickly picked up from him.

Class goes by slower than it normally does. As soon as I get out if the classroom, I feel a tap on my shoulder and I turn to see Louis. I roll my eyes and keep walking.

"Can we please talk?" He asks, following me.

"I prefer we don't. There's nothing to talk about. I made my decision."

"Grace, don't treat me an idiot. I know there's a different reason, normal people don't break up because one of them has family problems."

"Oh, some people do." I say, ignoring the first part of what he said. I walk over to my locker and open it.

"There's someone else, isn't there? You're with someone else now and that's why you don't want to talk."

"Is that really what you think of me? That I would find someone else immediately after we broke up?" He stays silent for a moment. There may be someone else, but I really don't want to talk about that with him. "I just don't want to talk right now, Louis. Okay?"

"Okay." He says quietly and walks off. I'm proud of myself for standing up to him, although he did look quite hurt as he turned around.

Normally, I would feel bad about the way I've been treating him lately, but I'm happy that we're not together. In a strange way. We started dating after we first met and even though there was a connection between us that I can't explain, it was strange. It's like we knew each other, but didn't at the same time.

That 'someone else' that I'm with isn't much different from Louis in appearance, but his attitude is the complete opposite. He's one of the sweetest guys I've ever met and has a huge heart. He doesn't go to school though, which means more 'me time'.

Seeing Louis everyday at school made me feel like I never had any time to myself, and he'd always invite me over after school or want to hang out. With Aaron, I don't mind going over to his house after school, I haven't seen him all day. It's not like I have anything better to do.

I walk outside and look around. For the first time since we broke up, Louis is nowhere to be found. He's normally talking to his friends in front of his car, probably just to see me. I don't know why I even care, I need to stop thinking about him and focus on Aaron.

I start walking down the sidewalk towards my house. I know I don't live far from school, but I really should start driving. It'd be so much quicker, and if I could go to Aaron's if I want.

Once I get home, I go right to the couch and sit down. I grab the remote and turn the TV on, leaning back in my seat. I wasn't really in the mood to watch TV, but I don't want to sit in silence right now. My phone vibrates and I look down to read it. Aaron.

Are you coming over today?

I was just planning on staying home for tonight. You can come over if you'd like though. I respond.

I'll be there in a few minutes. Is that alright or do you want me to wait a bit?

A few minutes is fine, I'm lonely.

I'm sorry, don't want you to be lonely. I'll be there as soon as I can. I smile at his words and set my phone down before getting started on my homework. I don't have much, but I want to get it done before Aaron gets here.

I hear a knock on the door and look down at my phone. It's already been an hour and a half. I stand up and walk over to the door, opening it. "Hey Aar-" I'm silenced by a hand over my mouth and I'm pushed to the door.

"He's not coming, he has much better things to do. Go back to the other boy." They shove me against the door, this time harder, and run off. I can't tell the police, I didn't get a good chance to see what they look like, it's getting dark outside and they came and left. I close the door and go back to the couch, dialing Aaron's number quickly. Luckily, he answers right away.

"Are you still coming over?" I ask. I can hear a girl's voice in the background but can't recognize who it is.

"Um, I can't make it tonight. Something came up."

"What?" I can tell he's lying, and the fact that I can hear someone else in the background bothers me even more.

"I hate to tell you this way and at this time, but I'm going to be busy for the next few months. I just found out that I have to go to another country, it's for my job."

"Aaron can we please talk about this?" I say but the call ends. Since when did he have a job, especially one that considered traveling? And who was that in the background?

Louis

I lay in bed, staring at the ceiling. I need to think of a way to get Grace back and away from Aaron. My phone buzzes and I look down.

Unknown: I'm done with her. Have fun.

What a way to announce you're leaving someone. Aaron really must be stupid if he's leaving Grace that easily. Even I didn't leave without a fight. She's the best I ever had, and he's an idiot to not think the same.

I stand up and walk over to the closet. I need to figure this out. I can't let her get hurt.

I change and walk downstairs, sliding my phone into my pocket. I open the door to walk outside but stop when I see Grace sitting on the porch with a bottle in her hand. She takes a long drink from it looks up at me.

"I'm ready to talk." Her eyes are red and her cheeks are stained with tears.

"Talk? What is there to talk about, Grace?" I say, deciding to use her words against her.

"You told me that you wanted to talk, so let's do it. ."

"Where do you want me to start? You told me that you wanted me to fix the drama in my life. What the hell do you mean by that? Emma is my family, of course I'm going to try and help her, I want her to be as safe as possible. She could have gotten killed. He's after me now, trying to get revenge for saving her.

I know that we were happy together, believe me, it was the best relationship I've ever been in, but maybe you should have listened to Lexi. She was right when she warned you. I have a lot going on in my life and I need to fix it. But you leaving me didn't make anything any better. It just made it-" I'm cut off by her lips on mine. "Grace.." I mumble, trying to pull away.

"Would you shut up already? I've had a shitty night and I just want to be with the person I love more than anything in the world."

"Are you drunk?" I ask. I immediately feel like an idiot, since I saw the bottle in her hands and I can smell the alcohol in her breath.

"Maybe, now take advantage of it and bring me upstairs. Don't make me regret this." She demands. I really don't want to do this in the state she's in, but I know she'll only get worse if I don't.

I lift her up and walk upstairs to my bedroom. I might as well do what she says, although she'll probably be pissed when she sobers up.