fourteen

Grace

I walk into the living room and take a seat on the couch next to Louis. His head is in his hands, eyes closed.

"What's wrong?" I ask.

"Nothing." He sighs, lifting his head up. He should know better than to think that I would believe that.

"Don't lie to me, Louis. I can tell something's up."

"I guess I'm just not in the Christmas spirit as much as I should be. Everyone is so happy that it's Christmastime and they have time to spend with family, I'm just not feeling it this year."

"I don't think that anyone is feeling it. I don't think it's helping that it's not snowing out and we're not with our families." I set my hand on top of his.

"But today isn't the day to be upset. No one should be upset on their birthday, even if they have to hide out in a small cabin to keep safe. As long as you have someone to spend it with, you'll be fine." He looks up at me, smiling slightly. "I know that it's hard to be with someone you love with the situation that we're in now, but I'm here for you."

"Thank you, but I am spending it with someone I love."

"Louis, what-"

"That's right, Grace. I said it. I love you. I know you may not feel the same, but I don't care because I know that I do. There's nothing I can do to stop my feeling right now." We both stay silent for a few minutes.

"Can I ask you a question? I want an honest answer." I nod. "What are we? Are we friends? Are we back together again? It's so hard to tell when-"

He's silenced by me kissing him. I knew he was going to ask that question eventually. I haven't been so sure on what I thought we were, but I'm pretty sure he'll get the hint on my answer.

"What do you think?" I ask. His smile grows and he looks down at his hands. "Louis?" He looks back up at me, biting on his lower lip. "Happy birthday. And, I love you too." He looks away and I can tell that its in attempt to keep me from seeing the stupid smile on his face.

"Thank you, and thanks for not making me feel like a complete idiot. It's really awkward when you confess your love for someone and they don't feel the same."

"I just feel bad because I haven't exactly been able to go to the store lately, so I couldn't buy anything for you..."

"Don't worry about it, you being here with me is enough. Same for Christmas." I smile and he wraps an arm around my waist pulling me closer to him.

"I'll make it up to you on...." I think of another day that I could get something for him. "Valentine's day."

"You don't need to make it up to me." He laughs lightly, which is such a beautiful sound. "I'll be fine, I promise. Although I would like to know what your plans are."

* * * *

I'm woken up by the sound of a loud thump on the floor. I reach my arm out to wake Louis, only to find that he's not there. I begin to panic, thinking that Aaron had found us and taken Louis as revenge to me.

I get up and grab my phone, starting to dial Louis' number, but stop when I see a foot by the edge of the bed on the floor. I set my phone down and walk over, looking down to see Louis, still asleep, laying on the floor. I smile to myself, bending down next to him. I shake him lightly, causing him to groan.

"Are you comfy?"

"Very." He mumbles sarcastically. I laugh and he sits up, eyes still half closed. "What time is it?"