Four

It was Thursday and the moment of truth for field hockey was at the school. I woke up extra early. I wore a Led Zeppelin shirt and shorts with vans. It was around 6:00 now and the bus comes at 6:45. opened the window. Kirk just woke up. "What the fuck are doing up this early?" He said as he looked out the window. "I'm just so excited for field hockey! Today the list of who ever made the team is up." I chuckled. He yawned I could tell he was tired. I shut the window and went to do my hair. I did a double French braid. I did light makeup and went downstairs to finish up my US history homework.

Agnes and Ambrose got up with thirty minutes to spare. I made them pancakes. "That's Ash." They said. There was a knock on the door.

I slowly opened the door. "Kirk? What are you doing here?" I asked him. "There was no food at all in the house. You willing to give me a snack?" "Actually I made extra pancakes." I said giving him an inviting jester. "We have ten minuets till the bus come so eat quickly." I said getting my backpack on and taking my bro and sisters plate. I put the plates in the sink.

We all got on the bus. Kirk and I sat in the back. I brought a small blanket and tried to fall asleep. "Astrid. You seem tried." He said. I looked at him. "I was up til 12:00 doing all of my AP homework." I said. I put the blanket on him. He didn't seem to care. "You need a day off. We aren't having school tomorrow, maybe we can do something." He smiled. "I would love that." I laid my head on his shoulder.

The first thing I did when I got off the bus was look at who made the team or not. As I ran to the list Nancy stool out her leg and I fell. "Oops." Was all She said. Everyone chuckled but I didn't care. I got the list. I looked for my name. I thought I didn't make the team until I saw my name in the first slot. "I made the team!" I said jumping up and down. Nancy rolled her eyes. Her name was second. The bell rung and everyone went to class.

I was about to go to bio when Nancy grabbed the back of my shirt and turned me around to look her in the eye. "H-hey Na-" "Listen Asstrid, if you and Kirk have any funny business going on I will get the rest of the field hockey team to beat you up." She pushed me into the locker. "We don't though." I said picking myself up. "That's what they all say." Nancy walked away.

At lunch Louise and I sat with Kirk and Phillip. "So Astrid hows California treating you?" Phillip said taking a bite of pasta. "Good." I lied hiding my face. Nancy words haunted me to the point where I was scared to speak to Kirk. I don't know why though. "You good." Louise asked. "Yeah I'm good." I smiled. Kirk mouth to me. "Talk to me after school." "Okay" I mouth back.

The bell rung and everyone ran out of the school but me and Kirk. "So what's the plan for tomorrow?" I asked. "We can go to the beach then just walk around." He said. A genuine smile formed on my face. "That would be amazing." Kirk got on the bus and I went over to the locker to get ready for field hockey practice.

As I was getting changed for practice a girl with strawberry blonde and brown eyes walked up to me. "You're Astrid right?" The girl handing me a field hockey ball. "Yeah why?" I asked basically in a whisper. I live next door to you, but besides that be careful around Nancy she wants to ruin your life." The girl said. We got our sticks and walked to the field. "Why?" "Nancy gets jealous when girls hang around Kirk." "Wait hold on a minute, what's your name?." I stopped walking. "My apologies, I'm Bethany." She shook my hand.

Practice ended early and I was about to walk home when Bethany said . "Need a ride?" "Yeah." I said as I got into her car.

When we got to her house I said thank you and walked to my porch. I hid my gear under the deck so mom won't notice it. "Hey Astrid." I heard Kirk say. I looked up and saw his cute face. "Hi." I said back to him. "How's was practice?" "It was good I may be team captain." I smiled. "Are the plans set of tomorrow?" He asked. "Yeah."  I replied. I went inside waving goodbye to him.

"I can't wait for tomorrow." I whispered to myself as I got dinner ready