Relentless

Goddamn it!

How could I have been so stupid as to leave my phone in his possession?

I don't necessarily have to go to him. I could wait for him to call Nick. Then Nick could pick it up and I won't have to see him.

Maybe if I waited a few hours he'd leave the phone at guest services before checking out. And it won't even be an issue. At least that's what I hoped and prayed on the cab ride back to Mercer.

A woman in a pants suit greeted me at guest services with a friendly smile. She was tall and thin with a cocoa complexion.

"How can I help you Ms?"

"I left my phone with my friend.. I was wondering if you could tell me if he checked out of his room."

"Do you remember what room you were staying in?" She asked staring at the computer screen.

"No. I was staying with Patrick Reynard."

After a few clicks of her mouse, she scrolled down the computer screen, before jotting down a number on a post-it.

"The room number is 1469. He hasn't checked out. Let me give him a call."

"What's your name, Ms?"

"Carmella Ayler." She slid the phone closer toward her, lifted it off its base and pressed several numbers into the keypad.

"Mr. Reynard, this is Jeanette at guest services and I have Ms. Ayler with me. She says your in possession of her phone. Okay . . . Certainly. I'll send her up."

Jeanette placed the phone on the base. "Mr. Reynard requested your present in his room."

Of course he did.

"Thank you." I said.

"You're welcome."

I coached myself as I rode the elevator to his suite: Don't let him touch you.

Retrieve your phone and get out of there as quickly as possible. Don't let him touch you. Don't let him touch you.

My fingers were trembling as I knocked lightly on room 1469. Vain opened the door dressed in a sleek, navy blue Tom Ford suit that played up the radiant blue of his eyes. My stomach contracted in response to his intrusive stare.

"You're wearing different clothes," I said lamely.

He nodded as he moved back allowing me access into his room.

"I asked my driver to pick me up something. Another plus of having a car. The drivers are more willing to do personal favors," he smiled.

"What are you still doing here?" I asked him.

"Waiting for you." he said, making my throat tighten nervously.

"Why?"

"You left your phone, and I was anticipating your return. I needed to see you."

"Why didn't you leave it with guess services. I would've come for it eventually." I offered acknowledging only part of what he said.

"I needed to see you."

"I don't know what you expect from me Vain. I'm not the person you think I am. The person that spent the night with you isn't me. I don't do anything reckless ever," I admitted unable to look directly into his eyes. "I had a great time with you, but I have to go back to what I know."

He looked at me disbelievingly. "You're telling me you're capable of moving forward with your life as if we've never met? As if you didn't have the best, most intense orgasm of your life last night. Isn't that what you said to me, baby?"