Competition

Chapter 23. (Competition)

George Clooney- Gerry Hinshaw

Charlize Thereon- Veronica Hinshaw

**********

I couldn't possibly meet Nick with evidence of my infidelity sitting between my legs so I stopped by our apartment, took the world's fastest shower, before meeting Nick and Gerry at Stoney's.

I changed into a scoop neck top and a pair of jeans. I didn't want to be too casual with Nick's boss so I threw on a pair of ankle boots and a Balmain blazer.

Stoney's was a bar not far from Hinshaw & Letterman law firm that a lot of lawyers from the firm frequented. Simply because it was within walking distance from Hinshaw & Letterman.

It wasn't at all upscale or classy. In fact, it was shabby with an old jukebox and a pool table in the back. Despite its appearance Nick and I always had fun with Gerry and his wife Veronica hanging out and playing pool.

I recognized Gerry, Veronica, and Nick immediately. They were sitting at the bar with a round of drinks.

Nick wore a pale grey suit with a white shirt underneath and no tie. I suggested that he didn't wear a tie that morning because I liked it when he didn't wear one. I was glad he took my advice. Nick knew law better than he knew the back of his hand but I knew fashion.

"Hey, baby," Nick greeted, standing up to kiss me on the mouth.

He pulled out a chair for me. Between himself and Gerry's wife.

"Carmella. I'm glad you could join us. How are you this evening?" Gerry asked lightly kissing my hand.

"Good, Mr. Hinshaw." Gerry gave me a look and I knew it was because I called him by his last name which he detested almost as much as he hated being referred to as Mr or sir.

"Sweetheart, you know you don't have to be formal with me."

"My apologies Gerry," I remarked with a smile before plopping down next to Veronica.

"You remember my wife, Veronica."

"Of course. Hello, Veronica."

Veronica was one of those timeless beauties. She had a certain radiance and charm that was un-mocked by anyone else her age. She had dusky grey eyes and sandy blonde hair. She was effortlessly striking in a strapless peplum dress.

"I love that jacket," Veronica complimented. "It's Balmain, right?"

"It is," I smiled.

Balmain is known for its unique patterns and designs which was why it was my favorite.

"Everything Balmain is extraordinary. You have stellar taste."

"Thank you," I smiled. "You look stunning as well."

"Thanks," she remarked appreciatively. "I'm on the board of a charity for underprivileged youth, and we had a luncheon today with our young ladies. It was appropriate."

"What are you drinking?" she asked after noticing her own drink was running low.

"Chardonnay."

"I'm glad you're here. The boys were boring me to tears. They were going on and on about some obnoxious, pompous judge."

"Carmella are you any good at pool?" Gerry asked.

"I do alright," I smiled understating my ability

Apart from studying, that's all Nick and I did in school. We bonded over pool.

Pool was our game.