Party and bullshit

Tyson Beckford as Royce

Shanina Shaik as Donna

Chapter 24. (Party and bullshit)

I blotted the excess lip color from my lips studying my appearance in the mirror contemplating how to style my hair for tonight. I combed my fingers through my hair and held it in an updo just to see if I preferred it up or down. I wasn't dressed so the visual wasn't complete but I'd probably just wear it down.

"I like it when you wear your hair down," I averted my eyes to Nick's reflection in the mirror. He was leaning against the doorframe smiling at me. "I also like it pulled up very sexy," he added moving toward me.

"That's very helpful," I said my tone dripping with sarcasm.

"You're beautiful no matter how you wear your hair. You always look absolutely gorgeous."

I stood from the ottoman to embrace him. I could smell the faint stench of scotch on his breath and cuban cigars on his clothes.

"I love you," I muttered as more of a reminder to myself than anything else.

I loosened my grip around his body attempting to end the embrace but he held me tighter. "I love you, too."

"Did you have fun with the boys?" I asked him.

"Yeah," he exhaled sharply.

While he yanked off his tie, I started toward the closet. I modeled a few dresses in my head and vetoed more than half of the dresses I owned. When I stumbled upon a white dress that I hadn't worn in a long while.

As I slid into the dress I was reminded how much I loved it. It clung to my body accentuating each and every curve. The dress had a slit on the left shoulder and another at my thigh. The hem of the dress was made slightly uneven so more leg was exposed on the left side than the right.

"Where are you off to, babe?" Nick asked leaning against the sink to inspect me further in the white mini dress I'd chosen.

I hadn't been able to see Vain earlier that day because he had a business meeting. I'd been looking forward to seeing him at his friend's club opening that night, which was what I was preparing for but I wasn't going to admit that to Nick.

"Jay wants me to meet his new boyfriend. We're going out for drinks, and dancing." I admitted talking through the lump of guilt caught in my throat.

"You hate dancing."

I shrugged. "I'm compromising. The boys want to go dancing, so we're dancing."

"Why do you have to wear that dress to hang with the boys?"

I stared down at myself. "What's wrong with what I'm wearing?"

He folded his arms pausing, I assumed to gather his thoughts. "You look great, baby. You do, but this dress is short and tight and way too sexy."

"We're going to a gay club," I lied. "I think this dress will be fine."

"I would feel more comfortable if you wore something else," he added matter-of-factly.

Nick never made a fuss about my fashion choices before.

Why was he now?

"I'm not changing," I said firmly. I liked what I was wearimg. I didn't want to change. And I didn't think I should have to.

"Carmella, I'm asking you to change. Please." He begged.

I could feel the aggravation swelling inside me. I didn't like anyone telling me what to do. I definitely didn't like anyone telling me what to wear.