Chapter 4

I looked down at his hand and cocked my eyebrow. He tilted his head at my silent response before realization struck him.

"Ah shit, they tied you up, didn't they?" he asked. "Dumb shits," he muttered. He didn't wait for me to respond before he moved behind me, undoing my bonds with one hand. When they were free, I grabbed my hands, rubbing my wrists from the loss of circulation.

"Now for a proper introduction," he grinned, kneeling back down in front of me, using his bat as a crutch. He wiped his bloody hand on his leg before holding it out to me again.

"My name is Negan," he repeated. "What's your name, sweetheart?"

A part of me, the sane part who just watched him beat someone's head in, wanted to ignore his response altogether. However, given what had just happened and the entire situation completely, I realized that sanity was going to have to be thrown out the window if I wanted to see my brother again.

"My name is Carson. Carson Gardner," I said, placing my hand in his, feeling the lukewarm blood on my fingers. Through the leather glove, I could feel his warmth radiating off of him. Despite my current situation, it felt comforting, safe even. What the hell was wrong with me?

He held onto my hand for what seemed like forever before speaking again. "Now that is an interesting name." He finally loosened his grip on my hand.

I shrugged. "So is Negan," I replied truthfully, my voice devoid of sarcasm. He grinned widely at my remark. The way his eyes crinkled when he smiled, the way his dimples formed...it was doing things to me. Things that I didn't understand. Or maybe things that I didn't want to understand.

"You got me there, princess," he said. "Are you alright?"

I tilted my head in confusion at his question. To his men, his question might have sounded sarcastic. But there was something about his inflection that hit me. My instinct told me that it was sincere, that he was actually concerned for my wellbeing.

I nodded. "It's been a hell of a day," I said truthfully.

He smirked. "Don't worry your pretty little head, we'll get out of this shithole soon. But we're not done just yet. Lucille is still thirsty...and so am I."

He moved to stand up, but not before putting his hand out once again. I took it and allowed him to help me stand up. He looked oddly satisfied, maybe even impressed at the fact I had yet to pass out, both from the situation and the gore I had witnessed. He turned back to Jay, who looked absolutely petrified at what was going to happen next.

"You pissin' your pants yet?" Negan asked. Jay was visibly shaken at his partner's demise.

"Well, I bet you're gonna be real soon," he continued, moving closer to a very scared Jay.

Instead of backing up from the situation, I moved closer behind Negan, putting less than a foot's distance in between us. Negan's grip on the batt—Lucille—tightened and he raised her above his head, ready to break in Jay's skull. By now, Jay was crying, pleading for Negan to spare his life, saying he was sorry for hurting me. Negan wasn't having any of it, ready to dish out his warped form of justice. He swung Lucille down, but stopped before it could make contact with Jay.

"I got a better idea," Negan said, turning to me. He gripped Lucille lightly before turning her towards me.

"You do it," he told me, grinning.