Chapter 15

A couple of hours later, I was sitting at my desk, my interaction with Negan playing on a constant loop in my head. Ultimately, he had let me go without protest, trusting that I would come back to him...and vowing to find me if I didn't show later tonight. But I would come back to him. After the last couple of weeks, I was tired of denying myself what I wanted, of telling myself that I didn't deserve an extraordinary life. I deserved something more than the mundane existence I had been living the last few years. I deserved a real life, a full life. And maybe, if things worked out, Negan could be a part of that life.
As I considered a future with him, my phone began to vibrate in my pocket. Pulling it out, I saw it was a number I didn't recognize, but decided to answer it anyway.

"Hello?"

Brief static followed, then a female voice I didn't know. "Hello, is this Carson Gardner?"

Thinking it was just some creditor, I replied cordially, but also ready to hang up the phone. "Yes, it is. May I ask who's calling?"

"I'm an ER nurse at the regional hospital. Your brother Cameron was in a car accident and we need you to come down immediately."

Hearing my brother's name and the words "car accident" in the same sentence nearly caused my world to come crashing down. Almost immediately, I felt tears welling up in my eyes, ready to fall at any second, at the confirmation that he was—

"Is— is he alive?" I stuttered. The words felt like poison in my mouth.

"Oh yes, of course he is!" the nurse said. "He has a broken arm and some bumps and bruises, along with a possible concussion, so we would like to keep him a few hours for observation. He does have an IV, just because he was a tad dehydrated when he came in. Other than that, he should be fine."

Relief washed over me, now that I knew he was going to be okay. I ended my call and explained to my manager that there had been a family emergency and I needed to leave. As I walked out the building and to my car, the presence of my wolf caused me to come to screeching halt in the middle of the parking lot.

Negan, she thought, it coming out like a whine, longing for him. You promised, she directed at me.
I shook my head and continued walking to my car. I had promised Negan that I would come back to him tonight, but right now, my brother needed me. I just hoped that Negan would understand.

.........

About an hour later, I walked into one of the rooms in the ER to find my brother laying in a bed, twirling his IV tube, while shamelessly flirting with a nurse. The site alone was funny, but it was a relief as well. He was going to be okay and was already exhibiting his normal behavior. Cameron hadn't noticed my presence yet, so I leaned on the door frame, taking him in. His left arm was in a cast in a sling. I could see a few scratches on the left side of his face, but other than that, he was relatively unharmed. What if it had been a lot worse...if something would have happened to him...

The nurse's laugh brought me out of my "what if" thinking. I focused myself in the present, listening to their conversation.

"You know, I'm in a rock band," he drawled. I snickered at his cheesy pick up line, and immediately, he looked at me. He glared at me, his eyes silently saying "don't ruin this for me" but as soon as he looked away, so did the nurse. She excused herself and left the room.

Cameron sighed in frustration. "Seriously Carse? I was this close to getting her number!" He put his thumb and pointer finger closely together to illustrate.

I scoffed. "Seriously Cam? You were just in a car accident and all you can think about is getting laid?"
He didn't respond, but his eye roll was evidence enough that he was annoyed. I brushed it off and crossed my way to him, sitting on the edge of his bed. He was still fiddling with his IV tube, so I took his hand in both of mine.