Chapter 9: Coruscant

Here we go, into the bowels of Coruscant! Okay, I have to say up front, there's some dumb things in this chapter and the next... For example, you'd think the security would be tighter in the CURS building.... Well, you'll see what I mean. xD

Oh, and I hope you like the cool new cover!

Kimmy (AKA DarthKemberli)

-----------------------------------------

CHAPTER 9: CORUSCANT

“I’m not paranoid. I’m vigilant. There’s a big difference.”

 - Malina Sol, amateur information dealer

The Star Princess roared beneath me. Adrenaline pumped through my body as I threw the throttle forward, urging the Star Princess onwards as she chased the small starship. In the co-pilot’s seat, Caryoliss fired carefully aimed bolts at the fleeing ship. My hands tight on the controls, I leaned closer to my computer screen.

"Surrender, Malina, it's futile to keep running," I said.

"Never!" came the infuriated answer through the communication link.

On Corellia, I had captured Grant Hyden. On Naboo, I had found Bothor Bagtin. Both had been easy. Both had had very loose security and Bothor hadn't even been aware that he had a price on his head. This fourth bounty I was hunting, however, was smart, wily, and cautious. Her name was Malina Sol. She was a young, red-skinned Zabrak living on Alderaan. She was fully mindful of the price on her head, and so was very paranoid. In spite of all my precautions, she saw me and Caryoliss as a threat and took off in her ship the instant we crossed the threshold of her hideout.

Malina's ship was surprisingly fast for its size, but the Star Princess would catch up quickly. I was calm. The situation was well under control. The only possibility of Malina's escape was if she jumped to hyperspace, but Caryoliss's constant, well-aimed but sufficiently superficial shots kept her from making the necessary calculations. I had to admit that the boy was a good shot. He had also been a steadfast companion over the past few days, albeit his constant attempts to flirt with me. Apart from that, he was an excellent officer.

I aimed a shot of my own at the left wing of Malina's ship. It collided, but the angle at which it did caused minimal damage. The ship rocked slightly. An obscene word crackled through the comlink. I grinned to myself.

"If you don't land, we will shoot you," I warned.

"Ha!" Malina laughed scornfully. I marvelled at her spirit. "You will not. I'm too important to you alive!"

I shook my head. She was right. I didn't want to shoot her down: I wanted to bring her to Coruscant alive. She wouldn't land, but she couldn't jump to lightspeed and she couldn't fight back. She had no back-up: she had not had the time nor the opportunity to summon her guards. There was the option of chasing her until she ran out of fuel, but I disliked that idea. It would take too long, and the Star Princess wasn't high on fuel herself. However, in the blink of an eye, a second, more daring idea formed in my mind. I switched off the comlink with Malina.

"Peter!" I said sharply. "Take over the controls."

Caryoliss jumped up immediately. His face was confused but his response was prompt.

"Yes, sir!" Unconscious of his slip into military formality, he took the pilot's seat the instant I was out of it. His hands closed around the steering mechanism. I yanked the hat from my head and tossed it onto the dashboard.