Chapter 12: Impending Doom

EVERYONE. I'm so so so so sorry for not updating in so long! But I was determined to get 20 votes before updating again... But worry not! I'm just going to go for reads now, since votes take too long and I'm anxious to share the rest of Darth Kemberli's story with y'all. So... Since this new chapter is so short, I'll wait for 1100 reads and then I'll uplaod the next one.

And congrats to JosephHall9 for being the very first person to comment! I appreciate it bro. As token of my thanks, as I promised this chapter will be dedicated to you. <3 Thanks for showing so much love!

Enjoy Chapter 12! Peace. ~

Kimmy (AKA DarthKemberli)

---------------------------------------------------------------

CHAPTER 12: IMPENDING DOOM

“Do not be fooled that you stand on anything other than your own two feet."

 - Shaak Ti, Jedi Master

Master Shaak Ti knelt. Before her was a pit, and in it lived a sarlaac. The Jedi Master closed her eyes and let the Force pull her in its tides. She felt the hunger of the sarlaac, its frustration, its confusion. She grieved to be causing it such pain, but in just a little while, it would understand why she was fasting it. Soon it would understand what the Force truly was, and it would no longer resist her beckonings. She held out one hand over the sarlaac, sending a soothing wave of Force energy over it. She strived to make it understand that she meant it no harm, only wanted it to see the liberty that came with discipline. And Shaak Ti was patient. She had been calmly training this wild beast for well over two years. It was becoming more docile, even though it was hard to notice.

In the Force she sensed her Padawan in the Felucian fortress behind her. The young Zabrak trained vigorously with their Felucian companions. Shaak Ti could feel the fierce delight that radiated from her Padawan and the natives as they exchanged blows and parries. Shaak Ti, despite the old Jedi mantra of 'attachment leads to jealousy', smiled to herself. Maris Brood was doing well. So was their little Felucian colony. Though the natives did show some reluctance to apply themselves to everything that Shaak Ti tried to teach them, they were eager enough to harness their Force powers. Shaak Ti was glad for such an occupation. The Felucians were quick learners, and it was nice to have something to do besides mourn the fact that the Jedi Order had fallen to ashes.

Suddenly Shaak Ti heard a whisper in the Force. A whisper of untold malice, a whisper that reeked with the rot of the dark side. Shaak Ti gasped. Her red skin paled. She was a powerful Master, but there seemed to be some sort of inverse relationship between how strong a Jedi Master was and their sensitivity to the dark side. A thin sheen of sweat broke out on her face, and her Togruta headtails drooped. The voice that haunted the Force was no more than a whisper, but it screamed nonetheless with anger, hatred, despair... purpose. Shaak Ti gasped again and reeled. It couldn't be... All that malice was directed towards Felucia! Dread seeped through her veins.

"Master?" Maris Brood's voice sounded very far away. "Master, what's wrong? Are you all right?"

With a shivering breath, Shaak Ti eased herself out of her meditative trance. She looked at Maris. The girl's eyes were wide with distress.

"Maris... Do you remember where I told you to hide if we are threatened?"

Maris's eyes went even wider. "Yes, Master, but why? Are we in danger?"

"It was just a premonition..." murmured Shaak Ti, "but I don't want to take any chances. Please, Maris... Be ready to hide, because we may be attacked any moment soon."

"But Master!" The Zabrak Padawan's eyes had returned to their normal size, and were now glittering. "Master, I want to fight alongside you. I'm ready for-"

Shaak Ti whirled on her. "No! You are not ready, Maris. You are not ready to face a Sith!"

"A Sith?" Maris looked frightened, but only for a second. "Then let me fight with you, Master! Together we will surely defeat the Sith."

"No, Maris," Shaak Ti repeated emphatically.

"Master, this is what you trained me for!" Maris carried on, heedless of Shaak Ti's growing frustration. "I don't want to hide while-"

She broke off as Shaak Ti rose to her full height, headtails flared and eyes glaring.

"For the last time, Maris. NO."

Maris cringed and shrank in the face of her Master's wrath. Shaak Ti immediately calmed. She placed a hand on her apprentice's shoulder.

"I'm sorry, Maris," she said, more gently. "But I don't want to lose you. The Sith are powerful... too powerful. I want you to be safe."

"Yes, Master," Maris conceded meekly. But Shaak Ti knew that she wasn't happy, and she didn't blame the girl. Maris had not had the opportunity to fight a real opponent since Order 66 had been issued thirteen years ago. Maris was skilled, very. Shaak Ti lamented that she hadn't been able to continue training Maris the way a Padawan was supposed to be trained. The girl was practically a Knight already, and probably would be had the Jedi Order still existed. Ah well. There would come another chance for the girl to prove herself. Shaak Ti could only hope to survive the coming battle with the Sith to witness it.