11

I stared at my perfectly manicured nails as the hairstylist curled my hair, the locks falling warm on my back. She began pulling them together into an intricate bun, but keeping the curls stick out, messy yet put together. Two strands were left to frame my face. I looked into the mirror and was in awe at the sight. My makeup was done fresh and light, giving me the look of feigned innocence. My brown eyes were accented with a neutral toned smokey eye and glossy nude lips. The usual drab brown hair looked sophisticated and luxurious.

I looked beautiful.

As I finished admiring myself, there was a knock at the dressing room door. I waved the hairstylist to the side and adjusted my robe before opening the door.

"You look beautiful Elena," Chase complimented, entering the room. "Being Queen suits you." I smiled and returned to the table and thanked the stylist before she left.

"I'm scared, what if I fuck up?" My fingers trembled as I picked up my dress.

"You'll be fine. I believe in you," he piped in, taking a seat on the couch. "There are tons of people out there already." It was hard to believe that past my dressing room doors was my destiny. A destiny I was reluctant to face.

"Is everyone there?" I asked, untying my robe. I readjusted my strapless bra before stepping into my dress. Chase stood to help me with my zipper.

"If by everyone you mean the Zei's, then yes," Chase said, pulling it up all the way. I ran my fingers down the silky fabric and checked myself out. The shimmery dress fit to my curves then flared out at the knees, flowing into a train behind me. The dress train blended in with the additional cape-like train that came out of my shoulders that made it look like it was meant for a coronation. The sleeves fell to my elbows and the neckline was high, elegant. When I showed my aunt, she hoped it was more dramatic, more "poofy" as she had said.

Chase handed me my shoes and I slipped the heels on and extended my foot out. "Fix my buckle please?" He followed and bent down to tighten my shoes. "Thank you."

He took a step back and at last, he sighed. "I can't believe this is happening." I nodded, my face breaking at the sudden rush of emotions. He wrapped his arms around me and crushed me to his chest. "Don't cry, you can't mess up your makeup." Through hazy vision, I laughed.

"I will always love you, Chase." He pulled back, touching my shoulders. I sniffled, pressing the pads of my fingers to my under eyes.

"Why does this seem like a goodbye?" he asked, wiping a stray tear off his face.

"Because after today, it won't be the same around here," I whispered. Another knock came at the door. "Come in."

My aunt poked her head in. "It is time Elena." I gave Chase one last glance before taking a step towards my new life.

My aunt helped me towards the large closed double doors, my heart in my throat as two guards put their hands on the handles.

"You can do this," I whispered as the doors opened. The room looked like a wedding was about to take place, audience members sitting in the center, parted down the center. But instead of the groom, at the front was the archbishop, a heavy book in his hands. Heads turned my way and I smiled, taking a deep breath and scanning the room. At the front of the left side were Carsir and Alias, sitting alongside the other Angelic Lords and Ladies. I swallowed hard when Chase placed his hand on the small of my back.

"Come on Elena. Let's get this done," he whispered under his breath. I took one last breath before raising my chin and walked towards to altar. My dress followed me as I took long graceful steps, controlling my shaky breaths. I stood beside the older gentleman at the front and he smiled at me encouragingly before facing the audience.

"Today we have gathered here to witness the succession of the new Angelic Reign, Elena Kathryn Ambrose. Now our ceremony is to begin," he announced. Remembering what I was told to do beforehand, I dropped to both my knees, unable to see anyone but the bishop. He handed me a copy of the Angel Bible before standing above me.

"Madam, is your Majesty willing to take the oath?"

"I am willing," I said, heart pounding.

"Will you solemnly promise to and swear to govern the Angels according to our laws and customs?"

"I solemnly promise to do so."

"Will you to your power cause Law and Justice, in Mercy, to be executed in all your judgments?"

"I will."

"Will you to the utmost of your power maintain the laws of God?"

"I will," I said, louder this time. Almost there. I stood and turned to face the crowd before lowering myself onto my knees once again. "These things that I have here before promised, I will perform and keep. So help me God," I finished, my grasp on the book loosening. I brought it to my lips and kissed it softly before standing. The bishop took the Bible and turned away to return with a crown in his hands. It was a silver crown, not too tall but covered in diamonds. It shimmered in the sunlight flooding the room, catching everyone's attention. He placed it on my head, and it fit snugly in my hair.

"I have the honour to present to you, Queen Elena Kathryn Ambrose of the Angels!" The crowd cheered, and I let out a sigh of relief, a grin on my face. I looked around and found Carsir, pride shining in his eyes. I bit my lip and started forward to exit the room. Chase stood at the doors, and as soon as they closed behind me he jumped me with a hug.

"You're the fucking Queen Elena, I can't believe it," he said, pressing a hard kiss against the side of my head. "Does that mean I have to bow to you, Your Majesty?" I pushed him away teasingly.

"Don't you dare! Never-" My words were interrupted as someone touched my back. I turned to see Alias smiling at me, his teeth flashing. Behind him stood Carsir, clad in a black and white suit. I almost drooled.

"Congratulations Elena," Alias said lowly, raising my hand to his mouth and pressing a wet kiss against it. He leaned in and whispered in my ear. "I hope you thought long and hard about a way of peace." I shuddered, opening my eyes to see a fuming Carsir. I pulled my hand back.

"I did, and I would like to discuss that with the both of you actually. Now."