33

I used my connections to find more information about Julius and thankfully, he was alive and well. On the car ride over to his home, the air was tense. I was nervous to learn the truth because even the smallest chance that our parents were somehow connected would change our lives. I sat shotgun as Carsir sped through the freeway towards Julius' house.

"He has to have some answers," I muttered, watching as we pulled onto the main road. Carsir didn't reply and remained tense until we arrived. We parked at a small bungalow home and knocked on the front door. It opened a minute later, an older gentleman at the doorway. His aged eyes widened in recognition as he bowed deeply.

"Your Majesty, Your Highness," Julius greeted, "what brings you here?" He moved to let us in, guiding us to the living room.

"I know you and my father were good friends, and we had some questions we wanted to ask you," I said, taking a seat on the couch, Carsir joining me soon after. Realization spread through Julius' face and he sighed softly, settling into a chair across from us.

"I was wondering when this day would come," he admitted, leaning back.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Your father's life was complicated and I knew soon enough you would want answers to questions you always had," Julius said. Carsir remained quiet, silently assessing the man before us. "What exactly do you want to know about Raphael?"

"Was he having an affair?" I blurted out. His eyes flicked to Carsir before nodding.

"I think I should start from the start," he said, running a hand through his greying hair.

"Please do."

"Raphael and I grew up together. We were each other's closest confidants, best friends and we were family. When your mother, Evangeline, and Raphael got married, that was the happiest I had ever seen him. He was head over heels in love with her. And finding out that Evangeline was pregnant, was bittersweet. They wanted you, but more than anything they wanted each other. So, when your mother passed away -bless her soul- Raphael's whole world fell apart.

"He had lost all happiness in life. Except you. You were his last shred of hope and I remember him telling me that, word for word. But, even you couldn't fill the void in his heart that was Evangeline. He went out looking for someone to help fill it when he met this woman at a party..."

Raphael's POV

20 years ago

"It was magic," I said to Julius, grinning. I spoke in soft tones, making sure not to wake Elena who slept in her bed a few feet away. It had taken hours to put the three-year-old to sleep and finally when she had gone down, I called my friend over.

"Why her? What's so special about her?" Julius asked, cracking a can of beer open. I followed his movements, taking a sip of the drink.

"Her eyes. God, her eyes, Julius," I paused, her eyes flashing in my mind. The green-blue jewels staring back at me. "At a quick glance, they were joyful but they longer you looked, you could see how lost she actually is."

"And? I don't see what you're going on about," he snorted, rolling his eyes. He took a sip.

"She's married," I said. Julius spits his beer out, coughing loudly.

"What?" he screeched. I scowled, shushing him, glancing back to make sure Elena hadn't woken up.

"She's trapped in a horrible marriage, he's abusive," I said, shaking my head. Julius looked shocked at these revelations, his eyes wide.

"And she told you all this on the first night you met?" he asked, skeptical.

"She didn't need to tell me. I saw bruises on her wrists and when I jokingly asked her if her husband was into rough sex-"

"Who asks that?" Julius asked, incredulous.

"Fuck off, it was a joke! Like I was saying, she hid it and got nervous," I explained. He narrowed his eyes.

"Maybe she was just embarrassed. I think you're looking into this too much," Julius argued, finishing off his beer and setting it down.

"Can I finish my story?" I took an impatient breath. "I noticed something was wrong and asked her what happened but she couldn't even meet my eyes. It looked like she was about to cry, Julius. I'm not stupid and I knew something was going on so I made her tell me."

"And what exactly did she say?"

"He hits her." A silence stretched before Julius responded, blinking slowly.

"Holy shit."

"And it seemed like she hadn't told anyone except me. God, I want to fucking kill that bastard," I spat, clenching my fists.

"Why doesn't she leave him?" Julius asked, leaning forward to rest his elbows on his knees. I ran a hand through my dark hair.

"She can't! I wish she could but he's powerful and divorce isn't an option," I explained, the severity of the situation heavy. "She isn't just anyone, Julius."

"Who is she then?" I sighed, shaking my head.

"Alexandra Zei."

"No way."

"Yes, way. She's the Demon Queen."

Elena's POV

"My father met Alexandra, Carsir's mother, and it was pretty much love at first sight?" I repeated, clarifying the newfound revelations. Julius nodded. I turned my head and looked at Carsir, but he was in his own world.

"When Alexandra died months later, Raphael became a different man. You probably don't remember any of it, but he would leave you in my care and drink himself away night after night. He didn't listen to me telling him to stop and look after you. He was depressed and that might've been a reason why he killed himself," Julius finished, rubbing his hands down his face.

"My father didn't kill himself, it was a car accident," I insisted, shaking my head.

"That's what the police reports say, but as an insider, I have reason to believe otherwise." I covered my gasp with my hand and Carsir held my other hand as comfort. Julius glanced at the touch but stayed quiet.

"Suicide? Th-that's crazy," I murmured, narrowing my eyes at the floor. But, the more I thought about it, the more the idea made sense. I never considered suicide before. It had taken years to accept my father's death as an accident, but suicide was another deal.

"I supposed Raphael's death was my fault. I should've helped him and talked to him more," Julius admitted, closing his eyes. I bit my lip, breathing harder.

"Do you know why my mother killed herself?" Carsir asked, the first words he had spoken the whole time. Raphael looked hesitant, then shook his head.

"I don't know, your Highness," he answered, looking away. I suspected he knew more than he was letting on but Carsir didn't press so I let it slide. "Anything else I can help you with?"

"No, but thank you for all you've done, Julius. Can we have a minute please?" Julius nodded, exiting the room. I turned to Carsir, pushing my fear down. I cupped his cheek with my hand, his blue-green eyes meeting mine. I pressed a smile to my face and wrapped my arms around his neck, burying my head in the crook of his neck. He slid his hands around my back and I forced myself to relax in his gentle touch. No words were said.

We just held each other together.