32

Alias was out of town today. Before he left, he had made sure he reminded me who was boss. I gave Agatha the rest of the day off, insisting to clean off any blood and cover up my own bruises. It had been a week since I had told Chase. I hoped telling him would make me feel better, but instead, it had only intensified how hopeless I felt. Even telling people couldn't help me.
I had just finished applying powder on a new mark on my shoulders when a knock sounded at the door. I threw the makeup into the drawers and moved to open the door. My brows raised in surprise when Carsir stood on the other side.

We had both obviously been avoiding each other. I didn't know why he didn't want to talk to me, but it worked out in my favour because I didn't want to make conversation with him.

"Can I come in?" he finally said. I nodded, moving to let him in. I closed the door behind him as he slumped down onto the bed. I sat in my chair, staring at him. He sighed, laying back on my pillows, kicking his shoes off. I watched them clatter to the floor then moved my eyes back to his figure cuddled between the covers, clad in a rather formal outfit of a baby blue button-down tucked into dark slacks.

"My mom died today," he said into a pillow.

"How old were you?" I asked softly. He shrugged.

"Five," he replied, turning his head to look at me. It had gotten easier to talk about my parents but it had taken years to even think about them without crying.

"How did she die?"

"Suicide." My jaw dropped. That must've been the reason why no one talked about Alexandra.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know." Carsir nodded, staring down at his hands.

"Tell me about your family," he said, holding his head up with his hands. "Your parents, how did they meet?"

I laughed at this. I remembered my aunt telling me this story, it was quite romantic, to say the least. "My mother was the Queen's younger sister, so she didn't have a political marriage. When she went to college, she met my father and they fell in love. My grandparents didn't approve at all, but she fought hard for their love. Long story short, they got married and had me. My mom died because of complications during my birth," I explained, my mouth twisting at the end.

I didn't know my mother. I knew she never even got the chance to hold me and oddly enough, that was okay with me. My mother may have given birth to me but she didn't raise me, my aunt did that.

"Valeria was my mother's old friend," Carsir started after a long moment of silence. He stared at the ceiling, a faraway look in his eyes. "That's why she knew me. But she stopped coming around after my mother died." When he didn't continue, I stood and walked to the bed, sitting at the edge.

"Tell me about your mother," I prompted. He closed his eyes, his lips spreading into a soft smile.

"She was beautiful, I remember that. She always smelled like roses and she always had a smile on her face," he said. I smiled at the description. "I never saw her cry- except once." He paused, frowning, his eyes opening to meet mine. His mouth opened, then closed.

"What happened?"

"I think my mother was having an affair," Carsir said. I furrowed my brows.

"How do you know? With who?" I asked, confused.

"I found out about the service tunnels because I caught her using them one day. She accidentally entered my room when she thought it was her own. There would be no reason to use those tunnel unless she was sneaking around with someone," he explained, sitting up.

"Who was she sneaking around with?" I inched closer to him, suddenly interested.

"An angel. I overheard her talking on the phone," he revealed. My eyes widened and in my mind, dots connected. I gasped.

"After my father died, there were rumours of him having an affair with a devil," I stated. We stared at each other, confused and surprised at the same time.

"Do you think...?"

"It can't be a coincidence," I blurted out. "He died three days from today." Carsir frowned, thinking.

"Did your father have any family or friends that he confided in maybe?" My heart pounded as I racked my brain. Most of my family from my father's side was dead but there was one person.

"Julius. He was my father's best friend but I haven't seen him in years. I don't know if he's even alive," I admitted, breathing heavily. "Carsir, if there's even a chance that my father and your mother were connected, we have to find out."

"And we will. Starting with this Julius guy."

A/N: Short chapter so I will be double updating!