Chapter Four

"Woodland!" Shane said walking in. Woodland didn't move or make a sound. "Woody!" Shane said and rubbed his back. Woodland hummed in his sleep. "It's time to get up!" Shane said. "Why?" Woodland mumbled. "You have school!" Shane said. "Nooooo," Woodland whined. "Yes Woodland, up now!" Shane said and pulled the covers off him. "No Shane!" Woodland whined. "Woodland I know you don't want a spanking before school so, get up!" Shane warned. Woodland groaned and put his pillow over his head. "Tanner Woodland, Now!" Shane said getting mad that the child won't listen. Woodland mumbled something Shane couldn't really hear. "What was that?" Shane asked. "Don't feel good," Woodland mumbled again. Shanes eyebrows furrowed together. "You don't feel good?" Shane asked. Woodland didn't move or respond but quietly hummed. Shane sat on the bed next to him. Shane rubbed his back felt his cheek causing the boy to jump slightly. "Sorry baby," Shane said. Shane felt his cheeks and they were in fact warm. Shane sighed. He didn't want to leave him home alone because he doesn't trust him fully yet. Shane pat his bottom light minding his butt might still be sore. "I'll be right back," Shane said. He stood up and went to his bathroom and looked in the medicine cabinet. He found the thermometer and went back into Woodlands room and saw he didn't move at all. Shane sat on the bed again. "Woody?" Shane asked getting the boys attention. Woodland hummed. "Can you open your mouth so I can take your temperature?" Shane asked. Woodland didn't move but opened his mouth a small bit. Shane put the thermometer under his tongue and ran his fingers through Woodlands hair as he waited. It finally beeped and Shane took the thermometer out and checked it. He sighed and ran his hand over his face as he read 100.1 degrees Fahrenheit. "Do you want some soup baby?" Shane asked. "Yeah," Woodland mumbled. Shane nodded to himself and rubbed his back before standing up and going downstairs. "Hey, why aren't you at work yet?" Ryland asked as he saw his husband walk into the kitchen. "Woody's sick," Shane sighed. "Well, how about you go to work until noon and come home," Ryland said. Shane looked at him confused. "Who will be here with him?" Shane asked. "I will, I don't have to come in until noon today," Ryland said. Shane nodded. "I don't know. He's a tough one when he's well, who knows how he will be when he's sick!" Shane said. Ryland nodded in agreement. "I'll just call the school and tell them my son is sick and I can't come in today," Shane said, since he is principle after all. Ryland nodded and finished his coffee. "I need to run to the store, need anything?" Ryland asked as he put his cup in the dishwasher. "Tylenol and more chicken noodle soup!" Shane said. Ryland nodded and kissed Shane before leaving. Shane quickly made some soup for Woodland and took it upstairs for him. "Woody?" Shane asked as he sat on the floor by his bed. Woodland slowly opened his eyes and saw Shane. "Hmm," He hummed and closed his eyes again. "Can you eat some of this soup for me?" Shane asked. "Yeah," Woodland mumbled and opened his eyes again. Shane smiled sadly at him. "Can you sit up for me?" Shane asked. Woodland weakly reached for Shane. Shane smiled at the boy and he sat on the bed and pulled Woodland up to sit next to him. Woodland groaned and slouched. "Here bud," Shane said and put the soup in front of him. Woodland looked at it yawned. "Here, eat some," Shane said softly. Woodland looked at the bowl and rubbed his eye then looked at Shane. "I'm tired," Woodland mumbled and laid his head on Shanes lap. Shane rubbed his back and ran his fingers through his hair. "I know, just eat a little for me?" He asked. Woodland shook his head no and used Shanes leg as a pillow to try and fall asleep again. "Woody, eat just a little then you can go back to sleep," Shane said. Woodland whined as Shane sat him up. "Here," Shane said and put in his front of him. Woodland whined and shoved it out of Shanes hand spilling it on the floor. "Tanner Woodland!" Shane said mad. Woodland laid back down and silently cried. "Woodland, I know you don't feel well, but that doesn't mean you can act like that!" Shane said and picked the bowl up off the floor. Woodland ignored him and laid there. Shane sighed pulled Woodland out of bed. "Shane!" Woodland cried. "Stand in the corner," Shane said. Woodland looked at him with tears in his eyes. "Now," Shane pointed and let go of Woodlands arm. Woodland cried and slowly walked to the corner. Shane sighed and went to get some towels. "What happened?" Ryland asked seeing Shane grab a few towels. "He pushed the bowl out of my hand and spilt in on the floor," Shane said and walked back up the stairs. Ryland sighed and followed him to help. They walked into the room and they saw Woodland in the corner sniffling. They cleaned up the mess and Ryland went to put them in the washer. "Come here, Woodland," Shane said softly. "No!" Woodland cried. Shane walked over to him and put his hand on Woodlands shoulder. "Woody?" Shane asked as the boy jerked his shoulder away from Shane and cried. "I hate you," Woodland mumbled. Shane heard and his heart broke. "Woodland, you don't mean that," Shane said mostly to himself. Woodland heard Shane walk away and Woodland sobbed. He turned and saw Shane sitting on the bed looking sad and confused. Woodland walked over to Shane and hugged him. "I don't hate you!" Woodland sobbed. Shane smiled and hugged him back. "I'm sorry!" Woodland sobbed. "Its okay baby, shh," Shane said and rubbed his back. Shane lifted Woodland and put him in bed and tucked him in. "Shane!" Shane heard as he was about to walk out. He turned and saw Woodland reach for him. "Stay," Woodland said tired. Shane nodded and walked back over and climbed in bed with him. He pulled him to his chest and hugged him while woodland snuggled into Shanes chest and fell asleep in his arms.