Chapter 1

"Well if it isn't Melanie Ann Taylor!" Billy rolled towards me with a grin. "It's so good to see you again!"

"The feeling is mutual, my friend," I smiled, bending down to give him a one-armed hug, the other occupied holding Junior. Billy noticed Junior, a fond smile curling on his lips.

"Still a little infant," he mused, looking to me with pity. "Still no sign of your mate?" I shook my head. I changed the topic.

"Where are the wolves?" I asked him, looking around the Rez.

"They're off doing their duties, but Emily is here. She slept over here just so she can be with Junior." Billy chuckled. Just then, the front door opened to reveal said woman dashing towards us with a wide grin.

"Melanie, you're actually here!" She pulled Junior and me into a tight human hug. "And hello, little cutie!" Junior cooed cutely in return, holding his arms out to her. I handed him to Emily with a small pout.

"I see how it is, then," I said jokingly. I handed Billy the bag that held Junior's necessary items, slowly backing away from them with reluctance. "I got to go now, I'll see you when school finishes."

"We'll look after him," Billy assured me. He called back for me just when I was about to hop into my car. "And Melanie? Welcome to Forks."

*Meanwhile at Forks High*

I looked out the window absently, my mind far away from the English class that I attended. I know I shouldn't act this way over a boy, but I can't help it; I love him, and he promised that we would be forever, that he would never leave me...but he did. He left me, he didn't love me, I was just something to entertain him. I just brought danger to him and his family...

I mean, it has been fine ever since I started to hang with Jacob, he's cool, and is helping me with the motorcycles, but I can't help at times to feel this way...

It wasn't Jasper's fault; he didn't mean to try and attack me. It was my fault for getting a papercut surrounded by vampires. Man, I'm such a clutz...

"Everyone," I distinctly heard Mr Birdie call out to the class. "We have a new student in school, so please treat her kindly. Come introduce yourself, Melanie."

"Hello," a Texan accent voice rang out. My mind flitted to Jasper. He had an accent like the new girl...

"My name is Melanie Ann Taylor, I am originally from Houston, Texas, and have come here with my baby brother for a new start after our parents unfortunately passed. I like playing with my baby brother in my free time, and also love to go hiking or camping on sunny days." I looked up sharply at her introduction. It was like she was...

I stifled a gasp that threatened to escape. She was like them! Except, she wasn't at the same time? She had the familiar pale complexion as them as well as the flawless look. She had the charm as a vampire would, but she had...emerald green eyes? That doesn't make any sense...

Suddenly her eyes turned to me, tilting her head at me curiously. I froze under her mysterious gaze. "Thank you for introducing yourself, you can sit beside Miss Swan. Miss Swan, raise your hand, please!" Mr Birdie announced. Without breaking eye contact with Melanie Ann Taylor, I slowly raised my hand. She glided her way towards me, sitting in the chair beside me where he used to sit.

"Hello," she said in her sultry graceful voice. "I'm Melanie, but you can just call me Mel or Mels." She held a hand out to me for a shake. I took it immediately, my thoughts confirmed when I felt how cold her hands were. I looked at her astounded.

"You're one of them?" I whispered. She tilted her head curiously. "You're...a cold one?" Her form tensed, sitting up straighter.

"How do you know about us?" she asked lowly, narrowing her eyes at me. I gulped under her gaze but answered her question.