Chapter 14

When I carried Bella away from the clearing towards La Push to see the shifters, I acted as if I was fine from the previous torture, putting up a font. But as soon as we were away from the Cullens and at the border of the territory, that's when I revealed my true state. After making sure Bella was set safely on her feet, I collapsed to the ground.

"Melanie!" Bella gasped, falling to my side worriedly. "Melanie, what's wrong?"

"I lied," I admitted through gritted teeth, feeling my body shake from the previous torture. "Jane went all in."

"What?" She paled drastically. "But you looked fine -"

"Of course I did!" I scoffed, slowly lifting my eyes to meet her worried ones. "Wouldn't you act the same if you were in front of loved ones?" Her mouth parted in understanding, our attention snapping to the distance as we heard a rush of footsteps approaching us. It was Sam and Paul.

"Bella? Melanie?" they called out surprised. When they saw the state I was in, they immediately rushed towards us, helping me to my feet.

"Melanie, what happened?" Sam demanded.

"We got a visit from the Volturi," I winced, allowing Paul to simply lift me into his arms. "Jane was there." The two men growled lowly at that. "We came to see Jacob, and to also get Junior."

"Junior is with Emily," Sam filled in as we all headed towards the Black estate, "and Jacob is in his bedroom. Billy and the other elders are preparing him for when Doctor Cullen comes to fix him."

"Can I see him?" Bella asked desperately. They shook their heads.

"He's in immense pain, and is very fragile," Sam replied. "He can't have any visitors at the moment."

"Understandable," I muttered, glaring at my shaking form. "I hate Jane."

"What happened?" Paul inquired, peering down at me worriedly. "You were fine before we left. Your man was with you and everything."

"The Volturi came, and it was too late for me to leave the area," I answered. "I attempted to hide from them but it was useless, really."

"And so this Jane chick attacked you with her crazy powers," they deadpanned.

"Yep."

"Are you going to be okay?" Bella asked me scared. I sent a warm smile her way.

"I'll be fine; her powers just stay for a bit."

"So like..." Paul said awkwardly. "Do you need...you know..." I raised my eyes at him. "Blood?" he finished. Sam tensed from beside me but said nothing.

"I don't want to do that in your land -" I said uncomfortably.

"But it will help you, right?" Sam interrupted, much to my surprise. "You still have human in you, so obviously her voodoo thing affected you more than a normal vampire."

"I'll be fine -"

"We will allow this occasion, Melanie." Sam cut me off. "You're an old friend of the pack; you're family."

"Can't you be like that with the Cullens?" Bella couldn't help but blurt out. Look, I love Bella and all, but sometimes it seems like she is a tiny bit obsessed with the Cullens...

They sent her looks that told her answer.

We finally reached our destination to see all the elders and the pack members outside of the Black estate, all their heads bowed down sadly. I saw Emily on the porch, holding Junior in her arms as she paced worriedly.

Hearing our entrance, all of them looked up and panicked when they saw me in Paul's arms. "Melanie!" they called out, meeting us halfway.

"Are you okay?" Seth asked me with wide eyes. "Why are you in Paul's arms? What happened -"