Chapter 7

*Before Melanie's Arrival*

I ran as fast as I could to the house, feeling empty without my childhood teddy bear that connected me to my human life and Melanie and our child. I guess revealing my past to my family and Bella really took a toll on me to make me forget to bring the bear with me as I usually would. It pained me to admit that Melanie's scent had faded on the bear due to the fact I held it constantly with me, but since Melanie and Junior are nearby, it wouldn't matter. Junior would have the bear and he'd be able to recognise my scent in the future.

Instead of running back to them to the clearing, I decided to take my time and think over what's been happening. It's not like they are in danger at the moment anyway...

After many, many years, I am close to being with Melanie and Junior. All along they were near me, in Alaska with the Denalis. I could have been with them this whole time. It was crazy how fate controlled things. I'm glad to be with them, really, but it would have been better if I was with them all those years ago. There are many things I regret; I regret not going with Melanie when she had to flee, I regret not leaving as soon as possible, I regret not being able to protect her when she needed it, I regret not being there with her when she gave birth to Junior, I regret not being there to raise him with her...

I'm torn out of my thoughts when I heard my name in the wind. I paused in my step, wondering if I was hearing things. But I heard it again and was able to distinguish it was Bella that was calling out. "JASPER, COME HERE QUICK!" Thinking of the worst, I immediately used my vampire speed to go to the clearing.

I arrived at my destination, looking to the back figures of Bella, Esme, Carlisle, and Alice with confusion. Their emotions were confusing me. Guilt, apprehension, fear, fury? "Bella?" I called out to the human. All four of them whirled around to face me with surprise. "What's wrong?" Bella opened her mouth to answer, worry and fear obvious in her expression when Emmett called from a distance gaining my attention.

"Jasper! Right on time!" Emmett called out. "Help us with this woman, will ya!" Woman? What woman?

Bella turned to where Emmett's voice came from, crying out in fear and horror. Worried, I moved behind her to get a view on what she was eyeing. What I saw stopped me from advancing any further, rooted to my spot. It was a sight that made my whole form run cold, a numb feeling erupting in my chest.

Melanie...

It was Melanie, right in front of me. But not the way I imagined it to be. She was on her knees, clothes ripped and looking exhausted. Her arms were held by Edward and Emmett, Rosalie having her hands wrapped around my mate's neck to rip off. And then I felt it; her emotions. It screamed out pure fear and pain. Something I never wanted her to feel. A dark feeling started to emerge deep within me; the Major. He was livid at the sight before us and wanted to appear.

I let him in.

*Meanwhile*

She didn't know why they were attacking her; all she wanted to do was lend her help to protect Bella and stop the newborn army. It baffled her to get this kind of greeting from the coven that the Denalis spoke highly about.

Trying to talk to them wasn't an option, the one with bronze hair looked ready to kill along with the blonde lady after Melanie electrocuted the muscled man.

She used to be good at fighting, but after many years of no action, and of her just looking after a baby and searching for her mate, she was a bit rusty. And fighting against three was an abrupt turnout.

Melanie was exhausted, and that was a big mistake: showing your weakness to the enemy. The three noticed her tired state and took advantage to it. The next thing she knew, she was on her knees restrained by the men, the blonde woman ready to rip her head off. Fear entered her system for the first time that day. She didn't want to die; Junior was hidden in the forest all by himself, and Bella needed her help! And Jasper...