Chapter 8: Mask of Flames

The night still casted a dark blanket over the Royal Island when Sela took a stroll around the town. All of the inhabitants were in deep slumber, and even the palace plunged into darkness. Only the crickets' incessant crying filled the cool air.

Yet the bonfire in the center of the common still crackled to life, emanating warmth even from several feet. Arthur told her that the previous court wizard who lived a hundred years ago created this eternal flame, filling it with magic so it burned into the night to keep everyone warm.

"Sela?" She turned around to see Agnes behind her, wearing a cloak over a cotton sleep dress.

"Agnes, you startled me," Sela placed her hand over her chest in surprise, "Why are you awake?"

"Same reason as you," Agnes shrugged, "I was thinking."

Silence settled between them as sparks tumbled off of the bonfire. Sela hovered her hand over the flames, mimicking their bright sway, "This eternal flame is simply an illusion."

"Illusion?" Agnes repeated in confusion, "But you can feel its warmth."

"An illusion doesn't fool just the eyes," The sorceress stated. She waved her hand away from the fire, and the flames followed her motion like a cloth before disappearing into the air.

Agnes stepped back in surprise. From where the flames used to glow, only a dry bundle of wood remained, submerged in the dark like the rest of the Island.

"Even a beginner can unravel the flames," Sela chuckled. With another flick of her hand, fire surrounded the wood once more, "Still, I appreciate the magician's good will."

"I have a feeling you're trying to impose a moral upon me," Agnes crossed her arms and frowned.

Sela sighed, "I've suffered a loss, too. And though I certainly don't know what you've been through, I know that it's best to look it in the eye and acknowledge it."

Agnes gazed into the fire, her arms slowly falling to her sides, "I was the second woman to be invited to the palace. Almost overnight, I was worshipped by everyone. They paraded me around, offered me flowers. I was their ticket to the King.

"The night before I would board the carriage that would take me to him, my sister warned me about the king. She knew someone who worked in the castle, and they told her about the horrors the king would commit behind closed doors. I was willing to refuse the offer, but we both knew how quick a crowd would turn against you after you disobeyed them. She offered to take my place. I had to wear a veil that covered my face, no one would notice. Like a fool, I agreed. The people were disappointed that I refused, but moved on because someone still went to the king. I never heard from her since."

They were silent again; guilt and regret hung in the air. Sela did not offer a single word of consolation or reassurance. She had her own fair share of ignorant pity. Sometimes, silence is the best response.

"Teach me how to make an illusion,"

"What?"

Determination returned to her eyes, "You said even a beginner can do this spell. I can start now."

Sela smiled warmly, "Of course."

---

The sun had just began its ascent into the sky when the rest of the people woke up. As the town slowly stirred into life, Arthur, Sela, and Agnes gathered near the woods. Only woodcutters and chickens frequented the forest, but another being would join them.

"Everyone stand back!" Sela announced as she held her hands in front of her.

She closed her eyes and felt magic seep into the ground, its tendrils curling around her fingers.

"Falsum bestia," Power gathered in front of her, shaking the ground and emitting powerful bursts of air as she spoke the final word that sealed the spell, "Apareo!"

A deep voice roared into her ears. Her spell had worked. A large eagle with the face of a lion prowled the clearing, sweeping its scorpion tail across the grass. It seemed to ignore the three humans.

"Will this hurt anyone?" Arthur asked, warily eyeing the creature as his hand curled around the handle of his sheathed sword.

Sela shook her head, "No, but it's enough to send them running for help."

They ran from the forest, leaving the beast growling behind them. Sela concealed them as they stopped at a nearby well. Now all they had to do was wait until someone had taken notice and alerted the king.

A woodcutter whistled as he hefted his axe on his shoulder and made his way to the woods. But when he saw the beast, he fell silent, his eyes widened, and he dropped his axe. The beast turned its blood red eyes upon him, baring its sharp fangs. He screamed, threw his axe, and fled. The axe fell short of its mark and dropped into the grass in front of the beast, who only cocked its head in curiosity at the screaming woodcutter.

---

"Your Royal Majesty, I brought assistance!" Arthur announced as he opened the large gilded doors to the throne room. Sela and Agnes trailed behind him with hoods over their heads.

King Lucas Cameron sat on his throne room, a tall golden crown adorned with blue jewels sitting atop his blonde hair. Two guards holding spears flanked either side of his throne.

Only the sound of footsteps on the marble floor echoed in the room. Once Arthur reached the first step of the throne, he fell on one knee, "May I introduce them to you, Your Majesty?"

The king nodded, "You may."

Arthur stood again, he moved to the side as he gestured towards Sela, "This is Sela Gaium, a renowned sorceress of her land. And this is her apprentice, Maria Lam."

Agnes kept the hood low over her eyes. Entering as herself would certainly arouse suspicion from the king, so an alias was necessary.

King Lucas leaned forward and narrowed his eyes, "You can defeat the beast pestering my kingdom?"

"Yes, Your Majesty," Sela nodded slowly, "However, I need five hours to prepare a banishment spell. For now, I can cast a spell that blinds the beast's eyes from your people."

"Do that," He waved his hand, "And for the meantime I will prepare you a room for the time you need to complete the spell. Take your time."

There was no urgency in his command. He only viewed the beast as a mere distraction, not a dangerous threat to his people.

A figure peeked her head in from a nearby hallway, drawing Sela's attention. She soon turned away, but Agnes still stared at her. This must be her sister, she confirmed.

However, the king noticed her prolonged gaze, "What is it?"

Agnes averted her gaze, "Nothing, Your Majesty."

He arched an eyebrow, "Take off your hoods, ladies. My court is filled with light."

Sela glanced at her in worry as she obeyed him. Her heart sunk as Agnes began to pull at her hood. Wind began to gather in her hand, ready to blast the king once he recognized her.

But the king remained silent as Agnes revealed her face. She had changed her appearance. Her purple locks were dark brown, and her skin was lighter.

Fear subsided in Sela's heart as it swelled in pride for her new apprentice.

A maid approached them and led them to a hallway where they would stay. As they walked, Sela whispered to Agnes, "I was worried he would find out."

Agnes flashed a reassuring smile, "I learned from the best."

Sela couldn't help but mirror her grin as they headed to the next phase of their plan.