Chapter 13: Gears of Fate

The Eternal Forest’s vibrancy and beauty did live up to its name. Trees planted centuries ago still stood firm, and the grass grew a bright green. All of this came to be thanks to the spirits living in the forest. However, Ambrosia couldn’t help but feel bored. Sophos strictly forbade leaving the forest. Decade after decade, her world never extended past the endless row of trees and her fellow spirits milling about. They were all content staying here forever.

Taking her favorite form as a bluebird, she rested on a branch at the edge of the forest, digging her beak into a piece of gam she found lying on the ground. Her grip on the fruit loosened, sending it tumbling down into the grass below.

Oh, come on. It fluttered its wings in frustration. The grape rolled past the invisible boundary line Sophos set for the forest. He wouldn’t immediately notice due to his frequent naps, but when he did, his wrath was one the spirits learned not to face.

But leaving the gam there was such a waste. Out of all the food Ambrosia tried, it was the one that most captured its interest. The pineapple was difficult to open, and its insides stung its tongue, and the apple was hard to mindlessly consume without a large seed or two blocking her throat. The gam, on the other hand, was thin and easy to open. The juice was just a peck away.

It was nighttime. The mysterious bugs were singing, and the spirits usually dimmed their lights, or enjoyed the comfort of mortal rest in their animal forms. No one would notice if it was gone.

So Ambrosia spread its wings, extended a talon, and soared past the barrier. It swiped at the grape with a claw, chirping triumphantly.

I’m going back after this. It said as it tore into the fruit. But its eyes spotted another group of gams hanging off of a growing plant Just grab it, then turn back. Just grab it, then turned back. It repeated the mantra as it darted towards the food.

A gust of wind blew overhead, but Ambrosia carried on. The gams were just a few flaps away-

A sharp pain enveloped its right wing, followed by another in its left. Ambrosia chirped helplessly as it fell backwards to the ground. A large bird- possibly a hawk- soared and circled it. It tried to flap its wings but was met with a blinding pain. A loud thump! resounded behind as its head hit something hard.

The last thing it saw before the darkness was a large hand towering over her, looming closer and cutting off the light around her.

---

The Arrogan Ballroom was the brightest room in the entire kingdom that night. Noise filled the air as servants hurried between tables to set plates down.

Several notable figures graced the hall- King Rinblau von Verg of Vergeduld, Datus Sinauna and Silang of the Itabakan Islands, and King Jasper Orator of the Royal Island, Princess Basilia’s fiance.

During the expansion of Arroga, Queen Abigail Orator arranged the future marriage to seal an alliance between Arroga and the Royal Island. When her grandfather, Arthur, overthrew the Cameron family and took the throne, the countries still nursed fresh wounds from a recent war where The Royal Island allied with Arroga’s enemy. The marriage was most likely set to avoid annexation.

Princess Basilia sat on her throne, her tight grin widening into a genuine smile as King Jasper approached her. Joy crinkled in her eyes as he offered her congratulations. A steward stepped forward with a large wrapped box in his arms. The princess clapped her hands in response, with honest thank you’s spilling out of her mouth.

Evia leaned against a pillar in the outside hallway, looking at the scene unfolding behind her shoulder. Her heart swelled as her sister danced in King Jasper’s arms to the swell of the strings in the Vergeduldian orchestra.