Part 16

Lyla and her dad swept the leaves from the entryway, out the front door. Detective Steiger checked the living room as Detective Morales descended the stairs.

"You admit you didn't get a good look at him," said Morales. "So, what makes you so sure it was JoJo Ames?"

"He was waiting for me last night when I left the diner. My manager chased him away."

"What was that about?" the detective asked.

"He was looking for his brother. He thought maybe I knew something."

Steiger interjected. "Seems like a lot of people have that impression."

"I don't like your tone." Ryan steamed. Steiger shared a look with his partner.

Morales approached Lyla. "We located Keenan's car yesterday afternoon. Cell service is pretty spotty out in those hills, but we managed to track his phone. We found his car about six miles from where your car broke down." 

Lyla's mind raced.

Morales watched her for a reaction. "You're positive you didn't see him out on that road that night?"

"Yes! I'm positive!" Lyla threw up her hands.

Steiger stepped into the entryway and examined the front door. "No signs of forced entry. You don't think maybe the wind blew it open?"

"I always make sure the door is locked when I leave for work." Ryan crossed his arms. "Always."

Steiger directed toward Lyla. "So help me understand this. A guy breaks in with the intent to pressure you for information, then sneaks around in here but doesn't confront you? Why not?"

She shrugged.

"Kids have a way of getting worked up sometimes," he said to Ryan. "Imagining things," he added dismissively.

"Somebody was in this house," she insisted.

Steiger shook his head as he stepped out onto the front porch. 

"We'll be in touch." Morales offered a polite smile and exited.

"You've had a rough week, kiddo." Ryan pulled his daughter into a dad hug.

"I didn't make this up."

"Is there something you're not telling me? About this JoJo kid?"

"He's Keenan's brother. That's all I know."

"You want me to have a talk with him?"

"No, Dad. Don't do that."

"You haven't been getting much sleep since all this happened. Maybe your mind was playing tricks on you."

She shook her head.

He grinned. "Seems like Spring Break is coming at just the right time. You can relax and forget about all this."

Spring Break with Darcy was going to be anything but relaxing, but Lyla looked forward to the distraction. She couldn't wait to get away, far away from JoJo and she was eager to get out of the city and dig her toes into the South Jersey sand.

"Rumspringa!" Lyla managed a smile.

"Rum what?" Ryan asked.

"You know. Amish teens going out in the world and running wild."

"What are you talking about?"

She laughed. "I better start packing."

"You're not leaving tonight."

"I know. But I'm a slow packer." She hustled up the stairs two-at-a-time.

She sorted through her dresser drawers and eyed the selection of clothes on hangers in the closet. Lyla didn't own an extensive wardrobe. Fashion was never her thing, she dressed for comfort. She packed her favorite jeans, a couple of pairs of shorts, T-shirts, tops, underwear, and two bathing suits. The straps of her turquoise bikini were frayed at the edges. 

I should have probably gone shopping. Too late now. 

She tossed the bikini into her suitcase then went to the vanity to gather her makeup. When she glanced into the mirror, her heart seized at the sight of Keenan standing behind her. Lyla whipped around to find no one there. She jumped when something struck her mirror, cracking the glass. 

The silver serpent ring rolled to a stop on the desktop.