Part 83

Jack scaled the steep grade up onto the road squinting tightly against the intensity of the bright flashlight beam. 

From her position, Lyla could barely make out a silhouette of a stocky man wearing a flat-brimmed hat.

"Is that your car?" came the gruff voice of a state trooper.

"Yes, sir, it is."

Quietly, she climbed the hill, careful to remain concealed in the shadows. In the headlights of the police cruiser, she saw Jack's car parked ten yards down the road.

The trooper huffed, "What do you think you're doing leaving your car here on this dark road with no emergency flashers blinking?" 

The police officer had the face of a retired boxer with a nose that zigzagged between his cheeks. "You need a tow?"

"Uh, no, sir," Jack replied.

The trooper gave Jack a cutting look. "Drivers come flying around these curves like bats out of hell. You're lucky nobody hit your car. And nobody got killed."

"Yes, sir," said Jack.

"Let's see your license and registration," the officer commanded.

Jack limped toward his car.

"Nice and slow. Hands where I can see them." The officer held the flashlight high with one hand, the other went to his holstered sidearm.

Jack raised his hands and stepped to his car. His voice rattled. "They're in the console."

"What the hell happened to your hands, boy?"

"I had... an accident."

"Any weapons on you or in the vehicle?"

"No, sir."

"Go on then." 

The cop followed, watching over Jack's shoulder as he retrieved his license and registration card. The trooper's brow dipped into a fleshy V as he read the information. 

"So, what the hell were you doing down there?" the trooper asked. "Especially at this time of day?"

"It's just stupid." Jack shook his head. "Me and my girlfriend got into a fight."

Lyla took the opportunity to intercede, stepping out of the shadows. 

"I guess this is her," the cop grumbled.

"Yes, sir," she replied, struggling to conceal her raging anxiety.

The officer directed his flashlight from Jack to Lyla. "Just the two of you then? Nobody else down there?"

"No, sir," Jack said.

The trooper got into their faces, sniffing for alcohol and marijuana. He winced. "You come across any dead animals?" He scrunched up his face. "You smell like meat that's gone sour."

She shook her head. The trooper turned his flashlight on her.

Perspiration pasted Lyla's shirt to her skin. Her hands were filthy with dirt caked beneath her fingernails. The Trooper studied Jack. He was similarly disheveled.

"What were you doing down there?" he grumbled. "Mud wrestling?"

"We kind of got lost," Jack stammered. "By the time I talked her into coming back to the car, we were way, way down in the woods."

"And then it got dark," she added.

"Both of you could use a hot bath," the trooper said. 

Something on the lower hillside attracted his attention. When he swept the beam of his flashlight slowly across the stand of trees, Lyla and Jack held their collective breath.

"What's that?" He leaned forward and redirected his flashlight. 

Her stomach dropped. 

Did he see Keenan's body? 

Her first instinct was to run but she couldn't leave Jack behind.

"Lylaaaa," the voice floated up out of the shadows. 

Her eyes went from the cop to Jack. 

"Lylaaaaa..." Apparently, neither of them heard it.

The officer squinted into the darkness and took another step toward the edge of the road.

"Ow!" she yelled.

Her diversion worked. He whipped around to face her.

"Something just bit me." She swatted the back of her neck.

"This is a helluva place to take a walk in the woods," he lectured. 

There was a long pause during which the state trooper stared them down. Finally, he returned Jack's license and registration. 

"Go on. Get out of here," he snapped. 

"Uh," Lyla stammered. "I uh..."

"Go home before I change my mind and write you up."

"Thank you, officer." Jack smiled politely. He and Lyla got into his car and drove away slowly.

"We can't just leave the body back there," she fretted.

He checked his rearview mirror. "Damn cop's right behind us. We'll have to come back and get him later."

Lyla's text tone startled both she and Jack. She shuddered when she read the message.

Keenan -  Your not leaving me again are you Kitten?