Part 40

On Sunday, both Lyla and Darcy were grounded, Lyla for inviting Jack into her home without a chaperone, and Darcy for a long list of offenses related to the house party. 

Lyla curled up on the couch with her favorite blanket, dozing on and off while she watched TV. Her phone buzzed, signaling a text from Darcy – HEY, WAT UP?

Lyla responded – SOOOOOOOOO bored. U?

Darcy – hungover AF 🤢

Lyla – Dad's pissed at me 😥

Darcy – Pissed?! U have no idea. They want to murder me.

Pause

Darcy - U hear from J? ❤️❤️❤️

Lyla - Nope 😪

Lyla tossed her phone on the blanket and scrunched down into the couch cushions. Her eyelids fluttered and grew heavy.

She experienced a flicker of pink. 

"Pink." She mouthed the word softly and then she drifted.

Draped in an oversized, vibrant pink terrycloth bathrobe, she felt like a small child wearing her mother's robe. She adored the velvety sensation of the fabric against her skin as she padded along the carpeted floor.

She started down the hallway toward the bathroom carrying a pile of folded towels. Through the open bathroom door, she could see that the room was thick with steam. She heard water dripping. She entered cautiously, her heart rate accelerating.

Sitting chest-deep in water, Jack smiled and waved her toward the tub.

She placed the towels on the counter and approached. When she leaned forward, their lips met in a soft kiss. 

He whispered, "Come in with me."

She dropped her bathrobe and eagerly climbed into the bathtub. The robe bunched on the tile floor like an enormous tropical flower blossom that seemed to glow.

Jack's deep, brown eyes burned with passion. 

Lyla gasped, she felt her face flush, the hot water lapping at her back. She leaned forward and kissed him. His thick, strong hands moved down her back.

"Hey!"

She snapped her head.

Her dad stood in the room. "Lyla!" he shouted angrily.

"Dad, I'm sorry." She covered herself.

He coughed a rugged series of coughs that became convulsions, turning his face crimson. He clutched at his throat, choking. When he hacked, an object flew from his mouth and bounced on the floor. When it rolled to a stop, Lyla was horrified to discover that it was Keenan's silver snake ring.

Again Ryan coughed, then gagged, opening his mouth wider. A thick, black snake launched from his throat into the tub.

She screamed.

The snake raced through the water, coiling around her wrists and ankles.

Jack shouted as the serpent sunk its teeth into his chest. He pulled furiously, but could not detach the snake. He howled in pain as blood spilled into the water.

Lyla bolted from the couch, shaking off the lingering traces of the horrific nightmare. She drew the blanket around her shoulders, shivering uncontrollably.