Part 33

In the kitchen, Darcy clumsily shoved shot glasses at Richie, Jack, and Lyla. Half the liquor spilled.

"Hey, watch the coat," Richie admonished. "Are you from spill-a-delphia?"

"Sorry." She lifted a shot glass to her lips and toasted herself. "Happy birthday, Darcy!" 

"Happy birthday, Darcy," Lyla, Jack, and Richie chimed in. They tossed back their shots. Lyla winced.

In the living room, Clarisse muttered, "Who are you? ... Who are you?" She shook her head sharply, her eyelids drifting open revealing only the whites of her eyes.

Lindsey yanked her hand free of Clarisse's. Wide-eyed guests sitting nearby gasped.

The candle's flame elongated.

Clarisse strained to speak. "Out of the darkness... Asking for help, but... Someone here has caused great pain." A single tear rolled down her cheek.

Eyes darted back and forth around the room.

Clarisse continued, "Someone... someone here has left you behind... You are... You are reaching out. A warning..."

The candle's flame danced wildly, glowed intensely, and went out. Frightened cries arose from some of the guests.

Clarisse's eyes popped open. She stared directly at Lyla and Jack. "You have unfinished business." She scowled.

Everyone in the living room turned and looked at them. Lyla's smile melted. The beer bottle slipped from her hand.

CRASH!

Clarisse exhaled. "Said not finished."

"Who said?" asked Jack.

"The voice."

"What voice?"

Lyla gathered pieces of the broken beer bottle with trembling hands.

Clarisse closed her eyes and leaned back in her chair, her disposition taking a nosedive.

"Nothing creepy about that," said Richie, trying to laugh it off.

Clarisse locked eyes with Lyla, holding her in a firm, steely glare. "I need to go now," she rose from the chair and shoved the candle into her canvas bag.

"Awww. Don't go," Darcy begged.

A murmur filled the living room.

Clarisse averted her gaze from Jack and Lyla as she hastily crossed the living room and hurried to the front door.

Jack prodded, "What voice?"

Clarisse muttered, "It's getting late." She whisked out the door.

An uncomfortable silence expanded before the music resumed. Lyla and Jack shared a troubled look. Guests in the living room continued to buzz.

"You guys have any clue what all that drama was about?" Richie directed toward Lyla and Jack.

A guy sampled his beer and offered, "It's part of the show, right? The trick candle, the dramatic exit."

"Don't worry about her," Darcy said. "It was a dumb idea, anyway."

Lyla considered running after Clarisse to find out what dark signals she had picked up from the spirit world but as her heart thundered in her chest she reconsidered.

I probably don't want to know.