Part 67

When Lyla entered the bathroom, the room was so thick with steam that she could barely see the edge of the bathtub. 

"Jack?" she called. 

Approaching the tub cautiously, droplets of warm moisture dotted her skin as the warm cloud enveloped her. She sighed, disappointed by the empty tub filled with hot water.

A reflection caught her eye when she went to the sink and wiped the condensation from the mirror. She discovered Keenan's silver snake ring on the corner of the counter, its cheap red stone eyes staring at her.

Behind her, she heard movement in the water. When she turned to face the tub, she felt something cold against her hand. The ring had become a living snake that extracted its long tail from its mouth and coiled around her wrist. With blinding speed, the serpent shot up her arm and began boring beneath the skin of her neck.

She tried desperately to grab its tail, but the snake slithered through her wet hands and nested under her skin. In the mirror, she could see the form of the serpent's body, which was gradually turning a shade of blue. She now had a blue snake tattoo on her neck, just like Keenan's.

"Lyla," Jack called from the hallway.

"Oh, no." She covered the tattoo with a hand, embarrassed by her predicament.

"Come here." He lured her into the hallway where he stood shirtless, his arms outstretched.

She ran to him, hoping he wouldn't notice the snake, but there was no way to hide it. He traced his fingers along the shape of the tattoo. 

"So pretty." He smiled and gently kissed her. His kisses went from her lips to her cheek, and finally to her neck.

"No." She pulled away. "Don't." She retreated into the bathroom, Jack followed. 

"I can feel it moving," he whispered, and then he laughed. "Yes, it's really moving now."

Lyla felt the snake wriggling beneath her skin. "It's not funny." She withdrew from his arms, the snake becoming more active.

JoJo's voice joined the laughter. "Awesome!" he chuckled, pointing to Lyla's neck. "Just like Keenan."

"Get out of here!" She gritted her teeth. "Get out of my house."

The goddess, Carissa followed him into the bathroom dressed in a short-short pleated dress, and suede ankle boots, perfect hair, and flawless makeup.

"Oh, my God! What a repulsive little thing you are." She winced. "And I was worried about my hair in this humidity."

Jack cracked up. Carissa tucked her sunglasses on top of her head, lunged into his arms, and kissed him. She ran her fingers through his hair as they engaged in deep, passionate kisses.

"Stop it!" Lyla shouted, fighting frantically with the snake.

"This is being live-streamed," said Carissa, handing her phone to JoJo.

"Stop that!" Lyla's eyes filled with tears. "Stop kissing her."

"I love her," Jack said. "I told you that. Look at her. She's smoking hot!" He pressed his lips to Carissa's.

"You were humping his leg like a pathetic little Chihuahua in heat," she taunted. "That's the opposite of hot." Carissa gestured toward JoJo. "You can kiss him, you little skank."

JoJo leered at Lyla. "Keenan said you're a good kisser."

"Don't you touch me, you creep!" she hissed.

The snake writhed wildly. 

"Jack," she cried.

He ignored her.

"Jack, please help me get this thing out of my neck. Please!" 

"Let's drown it in the tub," JoJo suggested with wild eyes.

"No! Jack, help me!"

Jack and Carissa, hungry with desire, kissed passionately, hands roaming over each other's bodies.

"It hurts." Lyla clenched her eyes tightly. The skin of her neck split open with the snake's gyrations.

"Ew! You're an ugly mess," Carissa snarled. "I had no idea you were so desperate for attention." She resumed making out with Jack.

Lyla screamed when JoJo lifted her off her feet. He raced toward the bathtub with her slung over his shoulder and plunged her into the water. Her arms thrashed frantically. From beneath the surface, she saw JoJo peering down into the water at her. Her eyes went wide, she was drowning.

A familiar hand latched around her ankle. She looked down and discovered that the tub had transformed into a swimming pool, and Keenan Ames was dragging her to the bottom, the crooked grin spreading across his devilish face.

She leaped from her bed and crashed to the floor, drenched with perspiration, gasping for air.

"What in the...?" Ryan pushed open her door.

"Fell out of bed," she panted. "I was having a nightmare." She rose to her feet and plopped onto the bed, burying her face in her shaking hands.

"Must have been some dream. Are you all right?" He studied her with concern.

"Just a bad dream is all."

"What kind of bad dream?"

"I was just... I don't know." She folded her hands in her lap.

"You want me to run a nice hot bath for you? Help you relax?"

"No. No. I'm good." 

"Maybe we can find you someone. You know, to talk to. About these dreams."

"I really don't want to talk about it." She slipped back under the sheets. 

"You can't go on like this. It's just too much."

"Good night," she said and turned her back to him, nestling her head in her pillow. 

Her dad exited.

She closed her eyes well aware that sleep was no longer an option. She lay on her side, eyes on the wall until mercifully, the sun cracked open the night sky.