Part 34

"Maybe we should go." Jack looked to Lyla.

"Why?" Darcy screeched. "The party's just getting started."

Danielle and her friends buttoned up their jackets and, with ashen faces, headed for the door. Two guys trailed the girls, mocking them for being scared.

A familiar song blaring from the speakers inspired Darcy to dance. "Here's my jam. Turn it up!" She closed her eyes, tilted her head back, and stumbled into Jack.

"Whoa, pump the brakes, birthday girl." He steadied her.

"Come on. Dance with me, girl," Darcy slurred.

Lyla felt sorry for Darcy and her sad birthday party so, she danced with her friend while Jack looked on.

As the song came to an end, Lyla suggested, "Maybe turn down the music a little. Neighbors might say something to your parents."

"Relax." Darcy danced more suggestively as the effects of the alcohol intensified. 

"Check out those savage moves," Richie teased.

"I need another shot." Darcy overemphasized "shot."

"You need some water," Lyla warned.

"Don't judge me. Not on my birthday."

Lyla leaned in closer to her friend, "Listen. Sorry, I'm not going to be around to hold your hair when you're puking, but I don't want to miss my ride home."

"I'm not gonna puke." Darcy waved her off then as if on cue, she went down on her butt.

People laughed.

"It's hard to know whose fault that was." She tried to joke her way out. 

Lyla rolled her eyes.

Richie helped Darcy to her wobbly feet. "Move along. Nothing to see here," he said. With his eyes on Jack, Richie whispered to Lyla, "That boy is one hundred and ten percent not gay. Hashtag go for it, girl."

Darcy held her friend's face between her hands then gave her a quick kiss. "You two have a fun night. If you get bored, come on back. We'll be party-rockin' 'til the sun comes up."

"If anybody, except for me and Darcy, is still here by ten-thirty, it'll be a miracle," Richie smirked.

"What you need is another Fireball," Darcy slurred, taking Richie by the arm. He waved at Lyla over his shoulder.

Out on the sidewalk, Lyla and Jack could hear the music pumping from Darcy's house. 

Lyla winced. "She's gonna get in so much trouble."

"Wow. I didn't know Darcy was such a party girl."

"She's not." Lyla shook her head. "Total amateur."

"That is not a good look for her." 

She chuckled.

Jack became serious. "So, what about that medium, or fortune-teller, or whatever you want to call her?"

"She freaked me out," Lyla admitted. "I don't even know what to think about that." 

"Yeah, you do." Jack stared hard at her. "Someone here has caused great pain. Someone here has left you behind. You know damn well what that means."

"Those are general statements. Probably any scammer that does séances, or card readings or whatever, says stuff like that."

"Then why did she stare right at us? I mean, you saw that look in her eyes. She was scared. Really scared."

"That lady was a total fake." Lyla tried unsuccessfully to convince herself and Jack as they reached his parked car.

"You're so not buying that," he said opening the car door. "You think she picked us out at random? How could she possibly know?" 

Lyla got in.

"Well, look who we have here." JoJo sneered as he emerged from the shadows. Behind him stood Taj, a bear of a guy with a scruffy, mountain man beard looking every bit of 300 pounds.

Lyla's terrified eyes went to the side view mirror where she saw Jack standing alone and vulnerable on the sidewalk as JoJo and his intimidating friend closed in.