Part 24

As the school day progressed, Lyla became convinced that it wasn't Jack who had sent that text. She hadn't seen him in the halls, classrooms, or in the gym. She exhaled a depressed sigh.

In study hall, determined to catch up on her assigned reading, she opened the novel, The Awakening. She struggled to focus, but soon her mind wandered, her eyelids felt heavy. Drowsy from lack of sleep, she drifted.

When she opened her eyes, she found herself seated in a chair in her living room. Detectives Morales and Steiger stood over her.

"Let's cut the crap." Steiger crossed his arms. "We know you killed him."

Morales added, "Come on, Lyla. You think we're stupid?"

"I didn't kill him."

"He's right out there on the porch." 

Lyla could see the silhouette of someone through the window of the front door. 

Morales reached for the doorknob. "Let's ask him."

A strong gust of wind blew open the door and ushered in a shower of dried leaves.

"Oh, by the way." Steiger reached into his coat pocket. "This is for you." 

He dropped a thick, black snake onto her lap. The snake coiled, raised its head and bared its fangs. She couldn't scream. She opened her mouth, but nothing came out.

The class bell jolted her from the nightmare. She checked her lap. No snake. With trembling hands, she closed the novel and slung the book bag over her shoulder.

In the cafeteria at lunchtime, she carried a serving of lasagna from the microwave to the table.

"Mmmmmm, that looks good," said Darcy as she dipped her spoon into a container of yogurt.

"My dad made it."

"Hey, so did he call you?" Darcy asked. She leaned closer and whispered, "You don't mind that I gave Jack your number, right?"

"No, totally acceptable." She turned on her phone and scrolled back to his message.

"He was super-serious about it. You're not pregnant, are you?" Darcy teased.

"Shut up!" She slapped her friend's hand.

She responded to Jack's message:

Lyla - Yeah, let's talk. When and where?

After a pause, a text tone.

Jack– After 5TH period by the bleachers

Lyla – 👍

She couldn't suppress a wide smile. Darcy raised an eyebrow. "Gotta fill me in, girlfriend."

                                                                                       .........

Fifth period seemed to drag on for a month. Over and over again, Lyla checked her phone. Minute-by-minute, the class crawled by. 

"Let's put the phone away, Miss Perry," the teacher snapped.

Lyla stuffed the phone into her pocket.

Oh my god. Longest. Class. Ever.

Mercifully, fifth period finally ended. Lyla hurried out of the classroom, down the hallway, and out the door. She jogged across the field toward the bleachers. On the opposite end of the field, the soccer team practiced. Had she been Carissa or one of the cheerleaders, lustful eyes would have followed her but being just plain Lyla, she was practically invisible.

Jack peeked out from behind the bleachers and waved her over. As she drew closer, she could see that he barely resembled the handsome, energetic guy he had always been.

"Hey." She waved.

"Hey," he responded solemnly.

"So, what's up?" 

With his pale complexion and bloodshot eyes, he appeared deflated. He surveyed the area to ensure that they were alone.

"I need to ask you something." As he paced nervously, she could feel the tension. This wasn't the romantic secret rendezvous she'd wished for.

"This is gonna sound..." He stepped closer to her. His voice quavered, "Have you seen him? Since that night?"

"Who?" 

"That guy. Keenan," he replied, barely able to utter the name.

Lyla paused and then nodded.

"Me, too." His voice cracked. Obviously, Jack was scared.