Part 38

The wind momentarily subsided. 

Jack jammed his feet into his shoes as he pulled the sweater over his head.

Lyla's eyes locked on the doorknob.

BANG! A blast of bone-chilling wind blew open the door.

She screamed as leaves skittered across the floor.

In that horrific moment, she felt the heavy shackles of slavery clamp tight. She became the property of a dark force that refused to let her go. The house fell silent.

Mustering his courage, Jack leaned forward to view the hallway and staircase.

No one was there.

Lyla crawled across the bed to him and clung tightly. She could feel his heart pounding, nearly as intensely as the hammering in her own chest. Her stomach knotted so tightly, she feared she might vomit. 

Cautiously, they made their way out of the bedroom and peered down toward the first-floor entryway. They descended the stairs, Lyla's breath trapped in her dry throat when she saw wet leaves carpeting the floor of the entryway.

"What the hell?" Jack gasped.

Slowly, something stirred in the leaves, barely perceptible at first. Then a bigger movement.

Jack stopped before reaching the bottom of the staircase. Lyla peeked over his shoulder.

A snake slithered out from the leaves.

An involuntary whimper escaped her mouth followed by another cry as a second snake wriggled from the pile. A nest of snakes erupted, spilling into Lyla's house. They slithered across the floor, some disappearing beneath the chair and the couch, others darting into the kitchen.

A mud-encrusted hand pushed through the pile of leaves.

"Oh, God!" She shuddered.

Unable to avert her eyes from the gruesome horror, she covered her gaping mouth.

A forearm appeared followed by another muddy hand with the word, SNAKE, tattooed on the fingers. Jack and Lyla recoiled as an arm shot straight up, fingers spread wide. The top of a head emerged rising up out of the grave of muck and leaves. A shoulder broke through the surface and the creature raised its head, confirming that it was Keenan.

"No." She shook her head. "No!"

Covered in soil, debris, and dried blood, Keenan crept forward, his broken neck unable to support the weight of his head, which hung to the side. His narrow, vengeful eyes glared at Jack and Lyla.

They bolted up the stairs to the bedroom and slammed the door shut, Lyla secured the lock. Tears of terror streamed down her cheeks. They heard Keenan moan, wheezing deep, ghastly breaths as he started up the steps.