Part 36

Shaken by the attack, Lyla anxiously checked the rearview mirror as she drove. "That guy was like Sasquatch," she said. "He was ginormous!" She stopped at a traffic light.

Jack rubbed his temples. "He threw me around like a beach ball."

When she glanced into the mirror and saw Keenan sitting behind her, she nearly jumped out of the car.

"What the hell?!" Jack looked over his shoulder at the empty back seat.

"Thought I saw some, something," she stuttered, her eyes locked on the rearview mirror.

"Sure you're okay to drive?"

She nodded. "Fine."

After an uncomfortably quiet drive, Lyla steered the car to the curb in front of her house.

"You wanna come in?" She eyed Jack's split lip. "My dad's at work. Nobody's home."

He wiped the blood from his nose. 

"You shouldn't be driving if you have a concussion," she added.

Jack rubbed his forehead.

Please say yes. Please.

He peered through the windshield. "Is that your dad on the porch?" 

She squinted. "Where? I don't see anybody."

"I thought there was someone..."

She turned to him. "To be honest, I'm kinda scared to be in there all alone. I mean especially after everything that's happened."

"I get that," he replied and unfastened his seatbelt.

From the moment they exited the car until they stood on the porch, both Jack and Lyla felt someone watching them. The neighbor's hedges and the overhanging trees swayed in the wind. Long shadows cast by streetlights shifted back and forth across the pavement.

She unlocked the door. They entered, then went into the kitchen. 

"You want something to drink? Are you hungry?"

"Water would be good. And a couple of Advil or Tylenol if you have some." Jack sat at the table.

She filled a glass from the water pitcher, carried it to the table, then went to the cupboard where she found a bottle of Tylenol.

"Thanks." He popped the pills and after taking a long drink, he rubbed his swollen knuckles. "That dude has a hard head. "He tried to laugh it off.

Lyla sat down across from him. "So why did you come to the party?" 

"Darcy invited me." 

"I mean without her. Without Carissa."

"I knew you were gonna be there, and I thought we could maybe just hang out and relax."

"Should have known better, right?" 

He shrugged. "Wasn't the most relaxing night I ever had."

She found herself staring at him. Even with the split lip and bruised face, he was beautiful. She loved everything about him. His short-cropped hair, his rugged jawline, and of course, those eyes that melted her like a chocolate bar on a summer sidewalk.

"You mind if I wash up?" he said, running his tongue over his lower lip.

"No, no." She got up from her chair. "The bathroom's right up here."