Bullies Don't Know Boundaries

*still Serena's pov*

At school the next day I was in class trying to work but I couldn't focus for some reason. As the morning wore on I still had trouble concentrating. By lunch all I wanted to do was have some alone time. I went and sat on the school yard lawn, enjoying the quiet. It didn't last long unfortunately. I heard a few snickers coming from behind me. "Aww if it isn't the loser girl." said one. "Yeah. Does she always wear her hair like that?" said another. "If she does, how does she have any friends?" asked the next. Finally I said, "Why don't you three look in the mirror? I think you might be talking about yourselves." I paused then went on. "All you know is bringing people down to boost your own egos. How can you live like that? Honestly I feel sorry for you in that regard." 

Shocked, the first one said, "Shut up!" and slapped me in the face, hard. "How dare you talk to us like that!" After that they left me alone. I thought I was alone anyway. "Serena?" said a small voice. I looked up to see a certain pink headed kid. "Rini?" Her face showed concern. "I saw what happened," she said, "I was bringing you your lunch but I think you should come back to Darien's and take care of your cheek." I touched the slapped area of my face only to see blood on my fingertips. I nodded, taking her hand. On our way Rini spoke, "By the way Darien's home so don't worry. I'll tell him to help first and questions later." I just nodded.

Soon enough we were in front of the apartment block. Not long after Rini was knocking on Darien's door. "Rini!" he said, surprised, "Serena!" Once we were inside Darien finally noticed my cheek. "Serena what..." he stopped at a gesture from Rini. Bending down to her, he listened as she whispered in his ear. Eventually Darien nodded. "Come on. Let me take a look at your cheek Sere." he said to me, leading me to the bathroom. Under the slightly brighter light in the bathroom Darien cleaned the cut on my cheek causing me to hiss in discomfort. "I'm sorry," he said quietly, "I know it stings." A moment later he announced, "Done." 

Back in the living room it was awkwardly silent. It was Darien (no surprise there) who broke the silence. "Serena what happened to your cheek?" Did one of the kids picking on you do this?" he asked, trying to look me in the eye without success. I answered, "Yes." That was all I could say around the lump in my throat. "Oh Serena..." Rini said sadly. Finally I just broke. I cried and shook violently, that crying that takes your breath away. Darien rushed to my side, enveloping me in a tight hug. "Oh Serena," he said, "I wish I could take away all this pain you have to deal with and suffer it for you but I have only one choice and that's to be here for you and stand by your side."

*Darien's pov*

As Serena cried in my arms I felt my shirt becoming damp. I honestly didn't care. All I cared about right now is Serena and how she's feeling. And right now what she needs is a shoulder to cry on and I'll gladly be her crying shoulder. After a while Serena's breathing leveled out and she calmed down. "Thank you," she croaked, "I needed that." I nodded, resting my head on hers, unsure of what to say. I never was good at emotions which, I suppose is why I never really show my true feelings. Anyway, soon enough Serena was relaxing and staring out the window. 

*later*

I was making dinner when I felt a tap on my shoulder. Turning around, I came face to face with Serena. "Hi." I said with a grin. She giggled then replied, "How's it coming? Smells yummy." I chuckled. "Thanks. It's almost done. Just give me ten more minutes." She nodded. "You would've made a killing as a chef you know." Serena remarked casually. It was silent for a few minutes. "And you would've made a killing as a music artist." I said back. She nodded and walked off. Once dinner was ready we sat down to eat. Every few minutes I'd look at the slap mark on my princess's cheek. I decided that the next day I would drive her to school and see exactly what's been going on. 

"I'll drive you to school tomorrow," I said, "I'd like to see exactly what's going on.  If they're becoming physically harmful something needs to be done." Serena nodded, answering, "While you were cooking I phoned my mom and told her about today. She said to tell you that you have the green light to talk to the principal since you are more aware of what has been happening." I nodded. "Alright, that's fine with me. Also, I'd like to pick you up if that's okay." Serena nodded in return. "That's alright by me. It'll be a nice change of pace." 

I smiled, glad to give her any help I can. That smile quickly faded at the thought that bullies really don't know boundaries.