Nowhere But Up

*still Serena's pov*

/dreaming/

It was dark and cold in the streets of the city. I was walking to the cafe to see Darien but I suddenly stop. "Who's there?" I queried, whirling around. Soon I find myself surrounded by all my past enemies. "What?" I said in shock, "How?" The only response I got were evil chuckles. A shiver made it's way up my spine. "Get away!" I yelled, "You can't be real!" Voices whispered, their sound caught on the cold afternoon air. I made a run for it. "Help!" I screamed, "Somebody help me!" 

As I ran I nearly tripped several times. Suddenly someone grabbed me. "Ahhh!" I screamed. "Serena, it's just me," Darien said softly, "Why were you running?" His question caused me to look around. Nothing was there. Huh? I could've sworn I was being chased. All of the sudden I felt as if I was falling. 

/end of dream/

I woke up breathing heavily. My body was clammy with sweat and my pulse wild. "Serena?" Darien sat up confused. Once he saw my face he wrapped his arms around me. "Another nightmare?" I nodded, there wasn't much more I could do. "It wasn't real. I'm here and nothing will hurt you." I took a breath and got up out of bed. "I need a shower." was all I said. Gathering up some clothes and my deodorant, I headed to the bathroom.  Stepping in to the path of the hot spray, I let my emotions drain out of me. I cried, leaning on the shower wall.

My breath ragged and my shoulders shaking, I slid to sit down on the floor of the shower. Why me?  I thought, Even after it's all over I have this sense of dread. I sighed, feeling weighed down. As I finished my shower I heard clinking coming from the kitchen. Once I finished getting dressed I made my way to the kitchen only to see Darien in his robe and making hot cocoa. Having heard me, he turned around to look at me. Sympathy on written across his face, he said, "Why don't you go sit down? I'll be just a minute." I nodded numbly, making my way to the sofa, eventually sitting down.

A minute later Darien brings out the drinks on a tray. We drank our hot cocoa in silence but that was just fine with me. Soon enough I drifted off again...

*the next morning, still Serena's pov*

I woke up, temporarily forgetting my worries only to realize how stupid they seemed. Why was I so worried about a problem that no longer exists? I shrugged. Probably paranoia, I thought. Once I got cleaned up and dressed I decided to go for a walk. Passing Darien in the lounge, I asked, "Want to come on a walk with me?" I grabbed my guitar as I awaited his answer. "Sure." Darien replied, "Where to?" I told him, "Just follow me." Walking outside and along the street, I led the way to a quiet spot a block or so from my school. Sitting in the grass, I motioned for Darien to sit next to me. 

"What is this place?" he asked me. "It's where I go when I need to think. I find it peaceful." I answered him. Taking out my instrument, I began to tune it. When that was done I strummed experimentally, eventually satisfied. I began to play a slow melody as background noise. Darien broke the silence. "What would you think about?" It took me a minute to answer his question. Finally, I spoke. "I suppose," I started, "I'd think about what life would be like without those girls bullying me. In short, I guess I'd dream about a drama free life."

"I can understand that." Darien said softly. "When I was an orphan I'd often sit at my window late at night hoping I'd be adopted or at least acknowledged." He paused to compose himself. "But nobody did, I never was. I aged out of the system but not before I moved to live alone. Then I met you." Though tears misted his eyes, Darien still smiled. "That day you threw your test in my face changed my life. I know that sounds totally dramatic but it's true. Since then I'd wake up just to be able to bump in to you either on your way to school or on your way home. Each time I'd smile inwardly at the sight of you, skipping along the way."

He laughed, slightly nervous. "Then I began to fall for you. I wanted to deny it but I couldn't. I was drawn to you in such a way that whenever I'm with you it feels like I arrived home for the first time in my life." Again he took a moment to catch himself. "Then in the fight with Beryl I forgot you. I knew I was missing a part of me but I couldn't figure out what or who it was. In the fight against Ann and Alan you protected me, a guy who was nothing but a cold-hearted jerk towards you. You confessed your feelings towards me, jogging my memory in the process. Then it all came back to me, our past, our relationship, everything. Once you saved them and the tree you collapsed in my arms."

"I shook you in an attempt to revive you, I even called your name. Eventually you came to and I was so relieved. I couldn't deal with it if something were to happen to you." Darien turned to me and took my hands. "Serena I know a lot of things but I understand very few things. However I do know and I do understand emotional distress and to see it in someone I love so much it hurts nearly killed me. If you ever need someone to lean on or someone who'll listen to you rant or a person to just hug you for twenty minutes in silence I'll be that person. I love you." By now tears were streaming down both our faces. 

"Darien," I said, "Why don't you ever talk to me about these things? What you're feeling? Your fears, your worries, your dreams, your hopes and failures? I want to be a complete part of your life. I want to know all of your secrets and all about you in general." I paused to wipe my tears and his. "You never waver and you always keep a collected face on even when it's fake. I know that's just your way but the mask has to come off and the walls you've built will eventually fall. I climbed those walls just to have you let me in, to let me love you." Again I paused. "The flower that blooms in adversity is the rarest and most beautiful of all and you my prince, your heart is pure and sweet, your soul the most beautiful to fall for." Then as I leaned in, "It's nowhere but up from here."